Sims 2 "failed to find DirectX compatible adapater in system" reinstallation problem?

hi there, i know there are a lot of these sorts of questions out there but i wonder if anyone would be able to help me.

Basically, i have installed and played the sims 2 on my pc for ages but my sister got a virus on our pc and got a friend to completely reinstall windows and ever since then i get that annoying error message.
I have tried using info from previous threads and websites but i cant seem to find the right info, as to me it looks like however my sisters friend installed windows, it now is ignoring the fact it has any graphics card or anything at all.

I love this game and would really love to play it again so any help would be great. I have tried to fix it but im not a computer expert and have no idea how to find out any of my graphics info or what drivers and updates i need etc.

i'll post some screenshots from my dxdiag that i hope will help someone be able to figure out what's wrong. If anyone needs anymore info that will help please let me know :)

Thank you!!!

Do you happen to know what video card is installed in the system? It appears you need to reinstall the video drivers. Perhaps you could post a model number for the pc, or service tag (for Dell pc's).

EDIT:

Re-reading your post, if your friend re-installed Windows, it is quite possible that he did not install any of the drivers, so as soon as we get a little more info on the pc, we can guide you from there :)

unfortunately im not sure what video card is installed,is there any way or programme that can be used to find out?
The model number is 7VM333M-RZ (i hope that is right!) i used the Windows System Information programme to find it so i hope its right :)

is that any help?

Thank you for helping me :)

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=1781#dl

You can download the necessary drivers from there. Under "Choose your OS," select Windows XP 32-bit. Download all "America" versions and install those.

I'm taking a chance that you're using onboard video. Does your computer have more than one connector for the monitor on the back? If so, we'll have to track down that vid card. Honestly, the best way is to remove the card and take a look at the stickers/markings, but we'll worry about that only if you're not using onboard vids.

right, think i downloaded all of those. No, there's only one connector at the back...does that make things more difficult?...i really wish i knew more about computers :(

Makes it easier since that means that you have on board video. Just download and install all of the drivers that were listed, and you should be good :)

hmm don't know if its just me not installing them properly but it still has the same message when going to load the game :( ...i think it may be me though.(well, i blame my sister for making the whole thing having to be reinstalled in the first place hahaha)...hmm, well im not sure if there's anything more that can be done than? thank you for all your help though :)

ha ha ha oh god silly me!! i hadn't installed it!! :blush: .done it and it is working now!!! i am so happy!!

thank you so much for helping me!! :) yaaaaay i love you :D haha

Back