Skype / VOIP / MSN How?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mke

hi there, i got a simple question. i got a headset with mic (plantronics) and want to connect this to my pc to make a call. however the connection of this plantronics is either a wierd connector which i havent seen or an adapter to make it to standard phone jack. could i connect this to eg. my laptops modem port and make a call?

any advice much appreciated.

thanks

Your computer should have a green port for plugging external speakers in. The mic will probably fit into this, but don't put it there; beside the speaker port there should be another port like it, only it's pink. Plug the mic into the pink one.

i meant that the headset has no audio jacks, just a wierd jack with a phone jack extension to it. so my only option would be a adapter from the phone jack to audio jacks, or the phone jack plugged into the modem (though i dont know if this would work and thats why am asking)

any ideas?

I think what you bough is a telephone headset. If your telephone is one with a box and wire and phone you pull out the wire & phone and insert the headset there. Hope it helps.

Gaco

it is a telephone headset, was used with a telephone, not audio jacks as pic, similar to usb plug with extension to a phone jack. however i want to connect this to my laptops modem jack. would this work??? or is there any way around this without buying a headset to usb adapter for this.
the actual model is a plantronics H261 SupraPlus
http://www.ahernstore.com/h261.html

any ideas if it works through modem jack on laptop???

to be honest mke, cant give you that answer.. my first though is probably not. why muck around with that when you can get a pretty good one for about £15/$30 that will plug straight in. i have a telephone headset too, but its not worth the bother to me. besides i looked for adaptors, and they cost more than a headset.

Oh. whoops. I thought it had an audio connector and you wanted to plug it into a modem port. Anyway, if you don't care how it looks when you're done, you could chop off the phone connector by chopping the wire, and then connect the four wires inside to two speaker/mic connectors (two wires for each connector). You'd have to figure out which wires are for the speakers and which are for the mic though.

I don't know about skype or MSN, but i have vonage and you use a regular telephone with vonage plugged into a VOIP router.

kitty500cat said:
Anyway, if you don't care how it looks when you're done, you could chop off the phone connector by chopping the wire, and then connect the four wires inside to two speaker/mic connectors (two wires for each connector). You'd have to figure out which wires are for the speakers and which are for the mic though.

now thats the solution i was looking for :) no extra money to pay for adapters or anything. the things already costs 50£ and got it free, wouldnt want to invest more money:) thanks for that. theoretically it should work, i hope atlease. shouldnt it? could there be a problem even if i connect correctly the cables? like that air-tight headphones? i mean i had a sony earphones which the cable got cut, and when i connected them again, i still had problem as they had air in them. is this gonna be the same?

thanks again all for ur time and ideas.

ok seems it works. havent even cutted the cable yet, just naked contact on each end. seems red to red, white to green.... :) though the quality aint that good with music. tested with a mp3 and it sounds as an el-cheapo headphone, kinda from the eighties :p what do they put in there. i wouldnt recommend plantronics to anyone based on this :) anyhow. will try the mic now :)
thanks ppl

ok mic doesnt work... tested the mic on normal phone jack and works ok, however not when connected with audio jack to mic input. headphones work though, but that bloody mic does not. any ideas???

yes but i dont want a router. happy with my current one, just need the mic thing to work. anyhow. too tired to continue today, will do something else with me creativity.

gnight techies

its odd that the no matter what cable connection i try, the mic wont work. headphones work pretty good for standard phone frequency, but the mic is making rattling noise and doesn't record anything. anyone who knows about that, or experimented with this? no matter what setting i try, e.g. mic boos or not it wont work, another cheap mic i have that i got from creative soundcard works fine, but this somehow wont. could it be that it needs a type of pre-amp power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back