Skype's controversial mobile redesign is coming to Windows and Mac today

Polycount

Staff

Whether you love it or hate it, Skype's recent Snapchat-like mobile app redesign will be rolling out to all Windows and Mac users today.

Skype's desktop design overhaul initially launched for Windows Insiders back in August. At the time, Microsoft claimed that their Skype Preview "[delivered] most of the great features of [their] next generation mobile experience but [was] especially designed with desktop in mind, to take full advantage of the larger screen."

Regardless of Microsoft's intentions with this move, it comes as a bit of a surprise given the overwhelmingly negative response to the mobile app's redesign. Transferring such a poorly received overhaul to Skype's sizable desktop audience is unlikely to yield different results.

Regardless, the design overhaul does bring a few new features. Skype users now have access to chat-specific media galleries which allow users to find "shared content" -- including links, documents, images or other media -- much more quickly than before. Skype for desktop has also received an entirely new notification panel, automatically letting users know when someone reacts to one of their messages or @mentions them.

If you don't care for the new design's default interface, it is customizable - to a degree. According to Skype's official blog, you'll be able to choose a custom "color and theme that reflects your mood, personality, or time of day."

Skype for desktop's contact list has seen an overhaul, too. You can now sort your contacts by unread messages, contact status and their local time. Additionally, you can pin individuals and groups for easy access and collapse your contact list entirely to make the chat box take up the entire Skype window.

Finally, Skype has finished its transition to a fully cloud-based system which comes with its own list of unique benefits. For example, Skype will now use less battery on laptops and notebooks while allowing its users to send files (up to 300MB in size) to their friends by simply dragging and dropping them into the chat window.

Permalink to story.

I'm assuming this refers only to the store "app" and not the regular desktop application? Since it still looks exactly the same as it did before to me.

I'm assuming this refers only to the store "app" and not the regular desktop application? Since it still looks exactly the same as it did before to me.

It's the Win32 Desktop app that's been updated. Apparently the new update won't come to Windows 10 users on newer builds of Windows 10 (anything released after the Skype UWP was released).

For the past several months every time I start Skype, I've been given the option to try to "New Skype look" or continue with the old one. Just clicking a button would load up Skype with the new look. If I restarted it, I'd be given the option to choose the look I wanted.

The new look seems to be focused on messaging. I found it to be more confusing for use as a video and phone call program. I'm sure it'd be fine if/when I was used to it, but I only use it for calling my parents and the new look will likely cause lots of headaches for them.

I stopped using the windows executable as it was hogging my cpu and started using the store app instead, it's far less helpful as for the life of me I can't work out if people are online. At least it doesn't pop up so and so has come online, ad infinitum.

Been using Google "Hangouts" on both Macs & PCs for over a year now - - and it's free too (y)

It's a hog on my phone, granted it's just a 2,26Ghz quad core with 2GB RAM so maybe I should not expect a messaging app to work on it.
Note: if your irony meter hit the red mark reading the above it's well calibrated.
I'm so done with MS recent crap!

Back