Skyrim gets co-op mod, is the fastest-selling Steam game

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Tired of exploring Skyrim's rolling mountainscapes all by your lonesome? One enterprising modder hopes to alter the experience by allowing you to link up with your friends. "Skyrim Online" adds many of the trimmings you'd expect to find in a conventional online multiplayer roleplaying game, including the ability to quest, chat and trade with other players over the Internet. That's the plan, anyway. In its current alpha build, the mod only allows you to see and chat with other players, who appear as naked prisoners, which should still offer some entertainment value.

You can download the add-on through Skyrim Nexus, but you'll definitely want to skim the release notes before taking the plunge. For instance, the three-step installation instructions mentions that Skyrim Online will overwrite your existing configuration files, so be sure to back them up. There are also various bugs to consider, including incompatibility with other mods, crashing for unknown reasons and user interface glitches. It also has the potential to break fast travel and you'll have to delete saves made with Skyrim Online installed, so back up all your saved games.

skyrim steam

Although it shipped with various bugs and a quirky menu system, Bethesda's latest RPG has received over two dozen "game of the year" awards, according to a recent press release. "We are gratified that Skyrim continues to garner high review scores and accolades around the world," said ZeniMax Media CEO and Chairman Robert Altman. That popularity is highlighted by the fact that Skyrim represents the fastest-selling title in Steam's history, though it's worth noting that all versions of the game ship with Steamworks. In other words, retail copies helped break that record.

Permalink to story.

Wait a minute! This was a Firefox story a moment ago?

Any who if this guy can get the mod working well and even possibly add dedicated server support and have say 24 of your mates in one realm could be hilarious! specially if your all level ones and you turn the difficulty up, imagine the giants just throwing your friends across the map as it swings its weapon around!

Nice. Now how about upping the difficulty and adding some team based elements. Maybe this will hold me over until diablo 3

burty117 said:
specially if your all level ones and you turn the difficulty up, imagine the giants just throwing your friends across the map as it swings its weapon around!

how about 24 people using unrelenting force on a whole town! HAHA

Wow, I caught you in the act! Publishing the wrong article that is, and who says Firefox is slow :p

Awesome, Skyrim is awesome, all that could make it more awesome is multiplayer. **** yeah!

As for Firefox, Chrome sucks, ugly uncustomizable spyware, I'll stick with my speedy firefox.

Been tried before, didn't go very far.

Either way, Skyrim is addictive, not fun. I expect the novelty of multiplayer would wear off once you're done pushing everything you can imagine off a cliff.

ramonsterns said:
Been tried before, didn't go very far.

Either way, Skyrim is addictive, not fun. I expect the novelty of multiplayer would wear off once you're done pushing everything you can imagine off a cliff.

Exactly. Skyrim doesn't deserve any 10/10 awards - it doesn't come close.

The only thing leaving people addicted to it are the multiple quests. Even they are all rehashed.

@ramonsterns and st1ckm4n
If that's what you think of Skyrim I doubt you've played it very much. You know you can beat that game with only one skill? right now I'm trying to do it with illusion magic. I've also found that Sheogorath's staff, the wabbajack, is an incredible amount of fun. It casts an unpredictable spell. It has summoned dremora to fight for the other person or made them explode in a fountain of gold. Of course you could become a vampire or a werewolf, both of those drastically change the way you play the game.

If you think it's all novelty you're not playing it right.

don't pay attention to ramonsterns he is a notable troll. Skyrim = 11/10.

With the exception of graphics(maybe)... Oblivion>Skyrim by a large measure.

Don't get me wrong Skyrim is an excellent game, but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece which I can say about Oblivion.

@yRaz and Guests

I've played the game long enough to realize the only reason to keep playing was to find out if there was going to be something interesting up ahead. I went 50 hours without realizing this was a Bethesda game and never did find that interesting thing.

The only thing Skyrim did right was aesthetic character design, which went back to the races looking a bit more like they did in previous games.

And this non-sense of "mods will fix it" doesn't warrant it getting GOTY. Since when has it been acceptable to cut corners so the community can mod it to how it should be? What kind of hole are we digging ourselves into that paying for half finished games is acceptable? Bethesda are such incompetent coders that their PS3 version is pretty much permanently broken and each patch on every other version breaks more than it fixes.

ramonsterns said:
@yRaz and Guests

I've played the game long enough to realize the only reason to keep playing was to find out if there was going to be something interesting up ahead. I went 50 hours without realizing this was a Bethesda game and never did find that interesting thing.

The only thing Skyrim did right was aesthetic character design, which went back to the races looking a bit more like they did in previous games.

And this non-sense of "mods will fix it" doesn't warrant it getting GOTY. Since when has it been acceptable to cut corners so the community can mod it to how it should be? What kind of hole are we digging ourselves into that paying for half finished games is acceptable? Bethesda are such incompetent coders that their PS3 version is pretty much permanently broken and each patch on every other version breaks more than it fixes.

What are you playing the game on? If you're playing it on the PS3 I feel bad for you...It's Sony's fault for the sorry state the PS3 is in and the games that run on it. Playing Skyrim on a PS3 discredits your argument entirely. As a modder I'd like to say I hardly pay attention to the vanilla version of the game. I love the elder scrolls games because they are as I choose to make them. The PS3 version is broken because Sony is incompetent as security coders and are trying to make up for it by tightening their DRM at the expense of their users.

yRaz said:

What are you playing the game on? If you're playing it on the PS3 I feel bad for you...It's Sony's fault for the sorry state the PS3 is in and the games that run on it. Playing Skyrim on a PS3 discredits your argument entirely. As a modder I'd like to say I hardly pay attention to the vanilla version of the game. I love the elder scrolls games because they are as I choose to make them. The PS3 version is broken because Sony is incompetent as security coders and are trying to make up for it by tightening their DRM at the expense of their users.

Haha, you have the gall to tell me that if I own a PS3 version of Skyrim (which I don't), I have no right to make an opinion, yet you completely disregard the state the vanilla game is in because the game can be fixed by the community. YOU sir, are a HYPOCRITE of the highest possible caliber.

Let's go over a few things:

1. It doesn't matter whose fault it is, you don't release a broken product, period. Bugs are acceptable to a point, but having the main quest broken on launch, then having an entire console version unable to play after enough game time is not acceptable in this dimension, or the next. Yet they sell almost as much as Copy of Rehash: Modern Scamfare 3 then get GOTY to boot, as if the game is flawless.

2. Whether or not you pay attention to the state of the vanilla game is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is, the game is unpolished and buggy. This will become the standard for games as more people begin to care less and less about the quality of the product they are buying. I can only forsee quality going down as price goes up because they can't afford to put up ads right next to every Starbucks, on every bus, and every 15 minutes of television.

How much would you like to bet the next Bethesda game will use the same old dead engine they've been dragging along since Oblivion for their next game? I wonder what new little lie Todd Howard will tell us when talking about this new, innovative game, and what features it will have.

*cough*fallout200endingsradiantaiinfinitequeststowneconomy*cough*hack*choke*die*

Mods never deliver. I see time after time great claims of peoples mods but they never complete them, they never finish. Always pre alpa.

Perhaps the game coding is slo complex these days compaines cant deliver a polished product on time. Its not simple pac man code anymore?

jeffz6 said:
Perhaps the game coding is slo complex these days compaines cant deliver a polished product on time. Its not simple pac man code anymore?

Yeah I was thinking that when I was reading the rant above.

I agree to an extent that games do need a little more bug fixing than they are currently being released with, but damn this game had soo many variables its going to be hard to find and fix EVERY bug before release? Or maybe they could, it'll just take 100 years to be released.

@ramonsterns

1) The PC release of Skyrim is not buggy and they've patched it a few times since release. What bugs are you talking about? I hear about tons of bugs on PS3 but hardly any on PC.
2) Skyrim uses a different engine, the creation engine.
3) have you played the game?

yRaz said:
@ramonsterns

1) The PC release of Skyrim is not buggy and they've patched it a few times since release. What bugs are you talking about? I hear about tons of bugs on PS3 but hardly any on PC.
2) Skyrim uses a different engine, the creation engine.
3) have you played the game?

1) PC release was buggy, period. I'm not going to put down all the bugs here, but the most prevalent ones were the find Esbern questline (broke main quest), then the backwards-flying dragons, breaking magic resistance, etc.

2) Skyrim uses the same POS engine as all their games post-oblivion. All they did was tweak it a bit and change the name as if they built it from scratch.

3) You deaf, daft, or blind?

burty117 said:

Yeah I was thinking that when I was reading the rant above.

I agree to an extent that games do need a little more bug fixing than they are currently being released with, but damn this game had soo many variables its going to be hard to find and fix EVERY bug before release? Or maybe they could, it'll just take 100 years to be released.

I've played console ports with less issues and bugs than a Bethesda game. I don't have the unrealistic expectations of having a game 100% flawless, but when you have two major bugs that keep you from playing the game altogether, there is a problem.

i've played 80 hours of skyrim , not found any bugs ( PC) and it runs great , the engine is miles ahead of there previous game , probably the first time the have had a good engine.

Definetly a game thats had a lot of love and work put into it .

i have the ps3 version of skyrim and it freezes occasionally but i'v been able to finish game and complete tons of side quest but i want to use mods 2 but im afraid they will further **** up my skyrim

I am enjoying Skyrim a lot but personally they didn't build anything new other than the content and a little better graphics (and that's only a maybe as I am on a better PC for it)
I agree with bits and pieces of what most of you are saying. To release on Playstation with the substantial bugs that it has is inexcusable, but other than that I haven't heard of anything major and don't know enough to say whether that is the fault of Bethesda or Sony.
Point is, to me this feels like new oblivion content, don't mind too much as I loved the game and there is a lot of it. I think the people arguing for the positive and negative parties are both going over the top. It's not the best game ever and it is in no way anything new (plenty of dragon games) but I'm going to keep on playing it.

Back