SLI 8700GT overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plagued

Hello,
ive been all over the internet and gotten the same response... buy a new fan. the problem is that i have no fans in my laptop except my gpu fans. heres the problem, the video cards are nvidia 8700gt sli dual cards and no program ON EARTH supports fan control for these cards... or is there... ive tried riva tuner 2.24 and 2.0 (last know good support for nvidia fan control), also tried speedfan with no luck (gpu fans are not detected.). my gpu fans are not detected by the progs but the heat sensor is... im working on 87°C which is 189°F to us americans... which is only 23°F from boiling water.
When attemping to play video games or ANYTHING that accesses video cards i get multiple responses... anything from pixelated screen to crashes that result in several black screens and game/video freezes, worst case is the entire pc locks up. now just so were clear its an alienware 9750 with the 8700gt video card setup, IF i had done my research id have stuck with the 9750's but whats done is done....
if i can just increase fan speed it would be fine for temp... will find permanent solution in fan/gpu replacement.
for now just looking for gpu cooling solutions, mostly fan control since i can hear fans are barely running after NEWEST gpu driver update as of today... fans still seem to be running 25%, regaurdless of temp.

Oh yeah

and yes ive tried to increase fan speed but not sure what prog to use cause none seem to be working... any suggestions?

what operating system?
have you tried Ntune?
87c is warm, but usually within specs for GPU's

My OS is windows 7 32bit, and i have tried nTune.... just like all the other programs the fan speed control is greyed out with no way to make it adjustable.

take the cards out, and blow off the dust using a can on compressed air....accumalated dust might have made ur cooling inefficient

they do get dusty but i physically removed them from the computer and blew them out a week ago, i use can air on them whenever i can see dust collecting on the fan blades (its laptop so simply removing bottom panel reveals full access to cards). with the bottom panel off i can hear the fans moving but only a little, every now and then they kick up to 100% but it seems random at best and no where near heat realated. Next step is to run driver cleaner for nvidia i guess then reinstall drivers but i doubt that will prove useful. Any ideas for fan control? Oh and im using forceware 197.16 as the latest download from nvidia driver database

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back