Slot-in CD-R(W) drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Per Hansson

Staff member
I'm looking for a CD-R(W) drive, and the reason to why I want a slot version is because I've been using a Pioneer 16X DVD slot drive and it has worked completley flawlessley for over two years now...

For the record I've had several Tray CD drives die on me for various reasons...

I am very close to buying the 40x Lite-On cd-burner, it supports RAW-DAO 96 write mode, has excellent buffer underrun technology, it supports correct EFM recording, and it supports RAW+96 in both audio and data, plus at 60$ it's a real bargain!

There is only one thing I don't like with this drive and that is that it's a tray drive...

So back to the question, does a good (see above) slot CD-R(W) drive exsist?

In fact, I'd argue that slot type drives are worse based on the fact I had to replace a 4yr old Pioneer Slot DVD-ROM the other day where a cd became stuck in it. I opened up the drive to get the cd out but I'd reckon it would happen again so I replaced it with a brand new Sony 16x DVD-ROM which works perfect and based on the tray design, i wouldn't expect CD's to get stuck like with the slot one.

PS. i've never seen a slot CDRW drive before ever.

I have had problems with both but I have some really old 2x tray drives still going strong.
I have recently purchased hardware that came with the minicds that fit fine in a tray but I have been to scared to put them into a slot.

Yeah, even my 7 year old 4x speed Sony CD-ROM drive is still as reliable today as it ever was (on my old computer of course!).

Another factor with cd/dvd/cdrw drives is the spinning noises. Buy the right one and they are almost completely silent, buy the wrong one and they sound like your CD is ready for takeoff. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back