Slow Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimbo.ati

My computer recently began to get the blue screen of death shortly after the wnidows xp profesional boot screen loaded. it said something about "ati2dvag" file has an error. I formatted becuase couldn't fix the problem and now my computer is running asif i have 1mb of ram.
I installed EVERYTHING.

amd athlon 1800+
elitegroup (forgot model)
Westen Digital 40gb hard drive
2x 256mb pc 133 Ram
ATI 9200se 128mb PCI
250w PSU

Did you actually format or just do a re-install? Its best to do a full format then install. Ive rarely had XP Pro install go right the first time. The error you were getting was from the video card driver.
If the computer is running slowing it could be something running in the background or the hard drive needs to be defragged.

yes, it was a FULL format and i think it may be something to do with the graphics card ? I tryed to play Diablo 2 the other day and it did a test and it said some rubbish about my drivers and my card and i couldn't play it.

What was the exact message you got when you tried to play the game?

I notice that the system specs you gave in your first post, are completely different to the specs in your user profile. I take it you`re using a different system?

That 250w psu looks a bit suspect to me. Maybe it`s struggling to put out enough power for your system. Especially if it`s only a cheap one.

Go HERE and use this handy psu wattage calculator.

Regards Howard :)

yes, the psu seems on the weak side, check that out using said calculator. ecs generally makes low quality motherboards, most of which turn out to be flat-out crap. use cpu-z to find out your model. if you have the k7s5a, consider yourself in luck as it was one of the few decent ecs products.

ok, i did the test i came in at 220 Watts. I dont think its the psu anyhow becuase i was using the computer before it was slow and its played CS:S fine and was running smoothly. Untill recently i got boot up blue screen (ati2dvag error) thats why i formatted and now my comp is running really slow. Could it be the drivers or the card? I did get the latest ATI drivers by the way.

LOLOL yes i do have that motherboard you said :grinthumb :D:D

I installed the original drivers that came with the graphics card.
i got a blue screen on boot-up with the same error (ati2dvag).

This is Really Wierd becuase 3days ago it was running fine :(

ok, i did the test i came in at 220 Watts.
if that was the draw of your components, you are in trouble. a psu has some innefficiency, generally outputting between 65 and 85 percent of thier rated wattage. so when you have a 250 watt model, your psu can only supply 212 watts or lower, ideally. keep in mind psus run best when operating at less than 80% of thier actual wattage output. the bottom line: get a more powerful psu, regardless of whether it causes you problems right now or not. here in chicago 400 watt raidmax models are selling for $21 (USD)

keep in mind what i said was theoretical, and your psu efficiency is most likely below 70%.

Ok , ill have to buy a new psu then. To solve my problem im going to just buy a Geforce MX440 instead and sell off the ati. Would that fix the problem?

you;d be stuck at your old performance levels and gaming capacities as before, if not lower. no, your best option is to get a beefier psu, as good ones are cheap these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back