Slow Internet

PatrickRT

So I have high speed internet, but I've recently discovered that when I use the wifi adapter on my desktop, (I have no direct ethernet where it is), the download speed is EXTREMELY slow.. and all videos are sluggish, my question is, can I tether my computer to my LAPTOP with the GOOD internet, for better speeds, using it like it was a wifi adapter?

Please explain how your laptop is connected which results in fast Internet. And then explain why your PC does not have the same Internet connection. Both machines should have the same connection possibilities.

What you are describing is an Ad-Hoc Connection (then Internet Connection Sharing). But that is not what you want, if you can connect them both to the Internet independently. Even if you do make an Ad-Hoc Connection, you would likely be facing the same issue that made your connection slow to begin with.

Ok, by connection I mean that I know I can use a laptop as a wifi adapter, because I do the same for my xbox. And the thing is, I think that the attached wifi thing for the desktop isn't as strong as the laptop, because the laptop can watch movies, play flash games, etc on the internet WAY faster. I also can download a 20 gb file on the laptop in about 1 hour, on the other one, it is 500 kb for 1 hour!! which is very bad.

If this is not possible, could I be told how I can make my computer use the full 30mb bandwith on everything?
(Sorry for spelling mistakes, my fault..)

OK, I was on the right track. I understand now what you are asking. Although in the end it would be simpler to upgrade the wireless in the desktop. You can get USB, PCI card or PCIe card for less than $20.

If you still want to connect the two machines together, there are three choices.
  • You can use a switch the switches the input and output signals electrically for several devices.
  • You can use a cable known as a crossover cable, that switches the signaling physically between two devices.
  • You can set one of the devices to use Ad-Hoc Connection, this tells the one device to switch the input and output signals so that a standard cable can be used between two devices.
Once finished you would then need to set the device with both networks for Internet Connection Sharing. I have used Internet Connection Sharing before, but never configured an Ad-Hoc Connection. If I'm not mistaken, Internet Connection Sharing is basically bridging the two networks together with maybe a few firewall rules. You might be able to skip the Internet Connection Sharing and simply bridge the two networks together. It is just a theory of mine, I don't know for sure how all that works.

Wish I could help further, unfortunately all I can do is point you in the direction you want to go.
Good luck with your efforts. :)

Thanks! The link you gave me was perfect, found one for 20 dollars and you get 150-500 mb/s (If my router can handle it, which it can't) so I'll at least get the 30 I want :). One more question, so would it or not help at ALL to tether the laptop to the desktop via ethernet, to make it have faster internet just until it arrives?

ALSO! Is the bad wifi adapter, what I have currently, the reason why my bandwith is at 30 mb/s but it only goes to like 500kb/s ?

Hard to say, it could be a number of reasons why. I assumed it was an older card, which is why it was slow. The problem could stem from corrupt drivers, bad hardware, Malware, and few other possibilities. That is if the card is not just old and functioning as it should.

Back