Slow, old laptop, but hate to give it up

Status
Not open for further replies.

teachme1

i have a HP pavilion zv 5000 wireless laptop (since 2004).
windows x/p o/s. intel(r) pentium(r) 4 CPU 2.80 ghz
192 MB of ram.
netgear wireless n 300 router
i run the avira personal anti-virus
windows defender anti-spyware
spybot search and destroy- no viruses have been detected.
google chrome is my browser
i purchased advanced systemcare professional.
the laptop is very slow, booting up, browsing the internet even with chrome, working on word, powerpoint, excel, etc.
i hate to give it up because it has a large screen,and it is durable.
is there anything that i can do to speed it up?
I am intermediate tech-wise, but my son can do anything with a computer.
if i have to install more memory, or anything else, he can do it.
i've re-installed xp twice already using the recovery disk. it ran faster for awhile,
but that doesn't last long.
please advise.
thank you.

some additional ram would definitely make a big improvement. i would try to get as close
to 1gb as you can.

i don't think there is much else you can do... since the computer is old i doubt it is compatible with dual core processors, and your processor runs at a decent pace.

make sure to check programs that run at start up... turn off the unnecessary ones.
also check disk fragmentation.

Personally I recommend removing/disabling Windows Defender and Spybot, and just using Avira for active protection. If Avira scans automatically change it so that it runs when you want it to, I personally just run a scan once a week. Also install Malwarebytes and do a weekly scan with that as well. Look at you're taskbar and try and free up as much RAM usage/CPU usage as possible since you're system has so little RAM. Any program that you're not currently using just close it, if it automatically starts with windows change it so that it doesn't. Also dload CCleaner run the registry cleaner, and windows cleaner. You should also upgrade you're RAM you'll be surprised how much performance that old thing will gain with a cheap $50 or so upgrade, hope this helps :D .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back