Slowing HP laptop

learninmypc

Got it on 7/2/18 2nd hand, may of been W 8 at one point, W 8.1 & currently W 10. Have noticed it slowing down over the last several months so I basically shut it down, turning on to get MS updates. Have been running https://www.techspot.com/downloads/500-memtest.html & in the past 12 hours, no problems thus the question, at one time there was a website one could run several tests on their pc to see how healthy it is/was. http://www.dslreports.com/ ?? If not, any suggestions??

Well ....you can hire a local computer guy to do it. I do this all the time for my customers. It's not a pricey upgrade even when you have to pay someone to do it.

Another idea is to use YouTube and search for > How to upgrade my HP [model number] laptop to a SSD". Watch someone take the bottom cover off the laptop and remove the old drive. If you feel like you can give it a go. Get a Samsung EVO 870 2.5" SATA SSD (At least 256GB or larger) and then use Samsung's Data Migration Tool (free) to clone your old HDD to the new SSD (you will also need a way to connect the SSD to the laptop temporarily). Something like this:

It doesn't have to be that one, but something like that.

It's a while since I bought a 2.5" SSD but I just checked on ebay and the price is pretty damned cheap for 240/250 Gb. Bang one in and do a fresh install of Windows 10. The improvement will be well worth it. A second hand SSD drive is also a possibility.

Sorry, I apologize for not being clear. I shouldn't have said it the way I did. What I meant is that Samsung is very expensive, and not really worth it for someone on a tight budget. While reliability isn't as good on other brands, I would rather pay half the price and have a 1% or less more chance of failure. I do think Samsung ssd's are like the true best, but they are quite pricey.

Well, no matter the cost, I still cannot afford it. Being on a very low fixed income sucks :( :(.
I wish you were able to get the micro center free 240gb sdd :(. It was running like all of last December and I picked one up. It works great so far, just using it for game storage, I don't want to fill up my C:/ drive, but I play the games often enough that I want them to load faster. Maybe they will do it again at one point. I hope so! You do have to be a new customer though.

It's a while since I bought a 2.5" SSD but I just checked on ebay and the price is pretty damned cheap for 240/250 Gb. Bang one in and do a fresh install of Windows 10. The improvement will be well worth it. A second hand SSD drive is also a possibility.
Well Newegg has a new 500 GB Western Digital SATA III for 69.00 and they have a lesser name 1tb for 77.

Back