Smoking laptop!

ViPeRMiMiS

I have a very bad problem with my laptop.
It is an Acer Aspire 5742G with Core i5 460M, GT 420M, 4GB DDR3 Ram, 500GB HDD. When I use my laptop (right now for example) it is okay. everything perfect. If I turn it like this
http://i28.tinypic.com/1581abt.jpg

A noisy crackling sound comes from the laptop, and it starts SMOKING! But the laptop does not restart!!! I need your help guys, the warranty is expired. Also I know I posted on the wrong section, but don't get me wrong, more people see this section.
I need your help, I don't know what to do :(

Sounds like an over heated condition is starting to burn components.

1) STOP USING THE LAPTOP

2) take out the HD

and maybe you can get an enclosure for it and save the data.

Sounds like an over heated condition is starting to burn components.

1) STOP USING THE LAPTOP

2) take out the HD

and maybe you can get an enclosure for it and save the data.

I don't know, now it's okay, I can use it normally, play games and everything is fine. Only when I turn it (like on the pic, which is not mine) it will start the sound. Also I cannot open it cause I removed 7/9 bolts normally, the other (which is near the power cord) is "stuck" and cannot be go in or go out, and the other is another type of bolt, which I don't know, and cannot be opened (maybe manufacturing mistake?).
Thanks for the answer :D

Sounds to me like you have a loose connection, frayed wire, or some conductive debris in the case that touches when you turn the case that way - that could cause a mild short, which would cause components or wires to heat up and start melting wire shielding and plastic.

Or, you've got some serious lint or something similar stuck in the cooling fins, and tipping the computer puts it in contact with hot surfaces, which causes the smoldering smoke you are experiencing. Does it smoke when it's first turned off and cool, or only after it's nice and hot?

Sounds to me like you have a loose connection, frayed wire, or some conductive debris in the case that touches when you turn the case that way - that could cause a mild short, which would cause components or wires to heat up and start melting wire shielding and plastic.

Or, you've got some serious lint or something similar stuck in the cooling fins, and tipping the computer puts it in contact with hot surfaces, which causes the smoldering smoke you are experiencing. Does it smoke when it's first turned off and cool, or only after it's nice and hot?

I haven't tryed, but I am afraid it will melt for real If I try to do this again. I don't want to risk. I am okay now, can do everything, but it will get hot when... (explained) and I can't get my laptop wherever I go, thus making it like a "LapDesktop"

Back