So you want to cut CD prices now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
A mix of satire and good points on recent Universal announcement regarding music CD price cuts. While not entirely PC related, I was reading this article at The Register and I found it good enough for an entertaining weekend read:

As the supply of CDs sky-rocketed and the cost of the media plummeted, the price would be expected to go down. Two decades and four presidents is a long time to wait for a single price cut on what became a mass market good. CD players certainly went down in cost.

Yeah, I heard they were trying to do this to encourage people to buy the CD's instead of download the songs. This would make them a lot happier, and more profitable IMO, but they still need to come down even more.

Here's the thing...

Apparently the big companies only really go out to get the guy who burns a bunch of the new Jay-Z and sells them outside the store the day before. So if they fix this price, it'll probably be only to save their profits on big name CD's. What happens if you listen to Death Metal and BlackMetal? We still have to wait like 3 months before the CD comes out over here! THEN it's got import prices sometimes on top of that... this is a whole different problem imo.

I also agree with poertner_1274: they need to go lower. If I can go to best buy and buy a CD player for 10 or 12 bucks (not high quailty, but still a player) I should be able to pick up at couple cdd's for like 7 each or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back