Socket 370

Status
Not open for further replies.

puck_andy

Ok, I've got a i810 intel chipset. Socket 370. There is a 650 mHz chip in now. Is the chip swapable? Now please don't mock me if this is a dumb question to some of you. I'd love to upgrade with the chip prices reasonable. Suggestions would be welcome.

The system its in is an HP 8668c with 256mb ram. I can't afford to lose the system and start over or I would. Everything is stock but I'm looking into replacing the video and sound cards.

By swappable, do you mean replacable without blowing up your computer?

If so, the answer is yes.

However, the answer also depends on your manufacturer. The chipset you speak of should support 1Ghz with no problems, but it may require changing jumper settings on your motherboard or flashing your BIOS to support a higher speed processor.

This really does depend on your manufacturer though. You should be able to find out more from your manufacturer's website or techsupport, as well as get BIOS updates and an official supported processor list. The CPU speeds supported should also be listed in your computer/motherboard manual.

If all goes well, you will not have any problems... It should just be a matter of taking out the old one, popping in the new one, and everything will run smoothly.

good to hear.

I had scoured the hp and intel websites for information, but intel doesn't say much about the 810 chipset anymore. Good to hear that hypothetically I can get a faster chip. Now as far as HP supporting a new chip, I have no idea. I'll write them and see. The tech pages don't tell jack from pooh.:eek: Maybe I can get the answer on my own if all goes well.

If anyone has done a similar replacement before, let me know. I'm gettting a better heatsink just in case. Who knows?

If you want to upgrade to the high end Celerons or the P4s, you will have to upgrade your Motherboard to Socket 478. Are they still making chips for Socket 370?

Originally posted by Top_gun
Are they still making chips for Socket 370?

No, but the new P3-based processors use FCPGA II, which is basically the same socket. I think in some cases, a BIOS update will allow FCPGA sockets to properly use a FCPGA II processor.

Please post back and let us know if you managed to do this. If so, tell us what steps you took and about any problems, etc....

Originally posted by Rick
the new P3-based processors use FCPGA II, which is basically the same socket.
Same socket, different voltage. If BIOS update doesn't help, you may need to get a CPU adapter, at least Powerleap makes them. In that case I'd consider getting a new motherboard & CPU however.

Limit of money

I'd be happy with reaching or passing 1 ghz. I'll worry about p4s later, when I have the finances I'll get a new mobo, processor, case, the works. If anyone has a chip in mind or a website that would give me specifics about such a task, I'd be grateful. I'm currently looking at some celeron chips ranging from 900 mhz to 1.3 ghz. They appear to be rated at FCPGA. I'll ask to see if they are II.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back