Soft Power Shutdown Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having a problem with 2 computers running on Windows 2000 pro. One will shutdown by pushing the power button immediately, but the other will not. It requires that the button be held in for four seconds. This is really annyoing and I've yet to figure out the problem. Any suggestions on how to get rid of those four second button holding?

I've already made sure that it was enabled through bios to shut down immediately upon use of the power button. It's still doing the same thing though.

hmm.. although i havnt used 2000, i'm pretty sure theres some sort of windows power management thing there..

sometimes windows (as its control-hungry nature abides) overrides the bios commands for some things.....

do you mean shutdown as in power off when you press it or initiate windows shutdown, then it powers off?

I thought that it was not a good idea to shut down by hitting the power button. I've always gone via the Start button on the desktop or a shutdown button on my keyboard. I only use the power button on the tower in the very rare case of a lockup. Why put the OS at any unnecessary risk? I have a Medion which will only power down if you hold the button in for four seconds That's as it is supposed to be for the particular model.

I thought that it was not a good idea to shut down by hitting the power button. I've always gone via the Start button on the desktop or a shutdown button on my keyboard. I only use the power button on the tower in the very rare case of a lockup. Why put the OS at any unnecessary risk? I have a Medion which will only power down if you hold the button in for four seconds That's as it is supposed to be for the particular model.

the power button, especialy in the modern pc systems and motherboards made past 98 i think (well, all pcs can do this now) has the power button as a 'hot key' or programable key, just like one of those buttons on an i.net keyboard (home, email, msnger, volume etc etc) or sorts that you can alter its function - and so most windows (and other os's) has taken advantage of this, and especialy in laptops where speed and power are off the essence, making it able to do either full power off, shutdown, standby, hibernate or soft reset (shutdown->reboot) [changing the settings via control panel>power management>advanced tab] so it is very usefull thing to have

the failsafe default is always hold 5 or so seconds to full power off in case of a lockup/crash as you said, generaly to prevent problems for the pc since unplugging or switching off the power from the wall socket while its still live - can cause spikes and such that has the potential of frying your psu/components, even if they are the top quality stuff...

off topic... i set mine to hibernate when i press the power button.....

N3051M is correct about the power button function, but not all mobos allow such "programming" of the power swiitch. The case power switch is really just a short a jumper to the mobo (i.e. no voltage polarity to worry about). The mobo then senses the change of state and acts accordingly (as programmed as N3051M suggested). I'm not exactly sure about this (as in ALL mobos), but my old mobo would only allow hard off or hibernate, so I think it might depend on the features of the mobo.

Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back