Solid state drives and gaming, worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightingbird

I have a gaming laptop that has a dual core, 4gb's of ram, NVIDIA ® GeForce ® 8400M G 1,2 GPU with 256 MB of dedicated GDDR2 VRAM and up to 1 GB of TurboCache™1.90 ghz, and I haven't came across too many games I can't run decently. I had no idea that the solid state drives were out. So I'm thinking of buying this:

Lexar EX16GB-431 16GB(SSD) from newegg.

My question is about value. This card cost about $50 bucks for a side plug into my laptop. If I install, for example, Empire total war, on this solid state drive. Will it run that much smoother and faster or will it show no difference?

Basically the only thing the Solid State Drive (SSD) will improve for gaming is the time a level takes to load. Which I think is not worth it at all for the prices SSDs have for their capacaties.

I am glad that SSDs are out and are getting faster and bigger, but they are too expensive at this point in time and not worth it for the average person I reckon.

There is some controversy over whether SSDs slow down over time as they fragment and evidently defragmenters don't work on SSDs. Supposedly, the recommended way to regain their former speed is to clear the drive and start over. Frankly, I don't know what's right but SSDs are a bit expensive to experiment with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back