Solved: Winmgmt.exe has generated errors and will be closed.

Winmgmt.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows.You will need to resta

Hello ,
I am new to this but in desperate need of help.
I upgraded my machine from windows98SE to windows 2000 professional.
It was a dream coem true , machine was stable never crashed etc and then suddenly about 2 weeks back I started to get this annoying pop-up windows saying program error "Winmgmt.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows.You will need to restart the program. AN error log is being created".
I have tried to delete as much stuff as I could that I have installed in the last month but to no avail.
I have also tried to re-install the software ( onto itself without erasing the previous version) but still no luck.

While looking at the Administrative tools->Computer management->System Tools->Event viewer->System I ge the following message " Windows management Instrumentation Service terminated unexpectedly It has been done 367 times. The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds. Restart the service"
And the cycle keeps on and on.
It has become a headache trying to compose even a simple Email.Please help.

Regards.
Rajesh Bahl
Email: bahl_oz@yahoo.com.au

Well, I can't even begin to imagine what could be causing that. Personally, I'd back up what you need, and do a format and clean install. That ought to clean out any errors.

Did you get that taken care of darhome?

Let us know if that fixed it.

LNCPapa

If that doesn't work, I'd probably try using the System File Checker to make sure your system files are not corrupted.

If you need details on how to use it, it is a built-in program with Windows XP. Just search for it in any search engine and you'll find directions.

Ever since I posted this solution I have been flooded with e-mails asking me for an updated link to this solution. I intended to contact darhome to get the instructions he followed - but alas it seems he does not have them anymore either. I have since been unable to locate the solution anywhere else on the internet, but will continue to search for it. When/If I find it I will post the actual instructions here.

LNCPapa

WinMgmt.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows

OK the solution to this problem is actually quite simple...

What has happened is a system config file has been corrupted...

go to:

C:\WINNT\system32\wbem\Repository

in there you will find a file named:

$WinMgmt.CFG$

DELETE IT... trust me... or if you don't, rename it to $WinMgmt.CFG.OLD or something...

SHUT DOWN... and Power Back Up again... when you log back in it will give you the same message once... wait till the OK button appears (this should restart WinMgmt.exe)...
CLICK OK... and you should be good to go...

if for some reaspon WinMgmt.exe doesn't automatically start you can double-click it at:

C:\WINNT\system32\wbem\winmgmt.exe

happy computing... hope this works for everyone!

QUESTION: Does anyone know how to get rid of the WINMGMT.EXE error that pops up on your screen every 20-seconds? Deleting, renaming, and rebooting doesn't work. This error will drive you almost insane!!!!! P.S. This error occurred after installing HP printer and HP scanner software!!!! Yes, I really do love HP products! P.S. Sorry Jeff, but your solution didn't work. Thanks. PC_ONE

Yeah, after installing Service Pack 4 for 2000 Pro on a client computer, I've been getting the same thing, the onlyway I've found to get rid of it is to uninstall SP4, but that's not quite an acceptable answer.

I've been looking around the internet for a good week now and I haven't found anything that'll solve the problem, what I did find were Jeff's solution here, the nonexistant Microsoft solution, some including running 'winmgmt /clearadap' in various forms and nothing has worked so far.

One I need to try yet since my boss remembers we had this problem with this computer before is to install each service pack seperately leading up to 4, as he seems to remember the person who fixed it before did that, even though the person who fixed it before can't remember what he did.

I have spent almost 2-weeks searching on/off for a solution to the winmgmt.exe error, and nothing has worked thus far. As a former HP Support Technician, I nor any of my peers has ran across this error before. I think uninstalling and reinstalling SP1 thru SP4 on a dialup connection would take about as long as a W2K OS reinstall. I am going to try reinstalling the OS then follow with SP4. If that fails, won't have nothing to lose, but to try upgrading the SP's one at a time. Any other thoughts are suggestions are welcome.

winmgmt.exe has generated errors and will be closed

I have deleted file like someone said and I have gone to the command prompt andtyped clearadap and resyncperf but I stillget these errors.Can anyone help me disable this in laymans terms.

okay, heres a not-so-good fix, but one that work (even though I'm not allowed to ue it)

go into Control Panel and then into Administrative Tools, open Services and set Windows Management Instrumentation to DISABLED in startup type and then reboot. The error message should be gone, problem is that if you're on a network and have certain permissions set, this will possibly mess them up, hence the reason I can't use it (even though I am right now, don't tell my boss on me)

I had this problem on one of my small office computer, I followed
what chigger 254 told and everything is working fine since and we do not have permissions on anything. So this as been a great solution for me.

Thanks everybody.

By the way my problem occured by itself nobody installed anything for months before it happend. Or did they??!!!

Found this on the web:

8/18/2003

Windows 2000::WMI problems - UPDATED

I have a problem for many of our machines. WinMgmt.exe consumes all CPU.
- MS article 225154 refers to an update to Windows Management Instrumentation 1.10 that fixes a similiar problem.
- MS article Q298130 is no longer available on Microsoft's support site, but it recommended stopping the service(s) and deleting all files under %SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem\Repository then restarting the service. - I have had *some* success with this, but does not fix all issues.
- Articles also refer to a fix: Q263119.exe that I can't seem to find.
- There is a download for the WMI Core at http://download.microsoft.com/download/platformsdk/wmint4/1.5/NT4/EN-US/wmint4.EXE (it states that WMI core is already included in Win2K.)
I believe SP3 people don't have this problem. But there doesn't seem to be a release of the updated WMI that is included in SP3. And SP3 pulls some BS on us: autoupdate client enabled by default, Outlook Express, "set program access and defaults" in start menu. We don't want all that crap and don't want to spend a month creating an automated installation that will install SP3 then undo all the BS.

Winmgmt.exe has generated errors...

I've read this thread but can't find where to resolve as I have the same problem. The pop up keeps coming every 20 secs or so. I see that this problemwas relsolved but the link to MS websight isn't taking we anywhere.

Please HELP!

Problem with WINMGMT.EXE

My problem with WINMGMT.EXE was similar. I would get a general error stating that an instruction could not be read at ... Upon clicking “cancel” that caused a debug to take place, then another popup said that WINMGMT.EXE generated errors and would be closed. This was happening every 20 sec or so. After surfing around to see if a fix was handy, I assimilated enough data and did the following:
1. I disabled the C:\WINNT\system32\wbem\Repository\ $WinMgmt.CFG file. Someone suggested adding an “.old” to the end. You can in fact delete it as I will explain later.
2. I then did a search on WINMGMT.EXE and found three occurrences. One was in the C:\WINNT\system32\wbem\ directory and another was in C:\WINNT\ServicePackFiles\i386. I checked the versions and they were the same. The third was in C:\WINNT\$NtServicePackUninstall$ which appeared to be an older version.
3. I disabled the C:\WINNT\system32\wbem\ WINMGMT.EXE file by adding “.temp” to it. You can delete this one also, if you like. Either procedure should stop the popup from occurring immediately.
4. Then I copied the WINMGMT.EXE file from the C:\WINNT\ServicePackFiles\i386 directory to the C:\WINNT\system32\wbem\ directory and rebooted.

So far so good. I think either the WINMGMT.EXE or $WinMgmt.CFG file (or both) was corrupted. After rebooting, I noted that another $WinMgmt.CFG file was automatically created in the …\Repository directory, so you can delete the original one without a worry.
If you don’t have a C:\WINNT\ServicePackFiles\i386 directory with another copy of the WINMGMT.EXE, you may be able to find one on the net. Be sure it is the same version as the one you disabled.

Technet article 298130:

Error Message: Winmgmt.exe Has Generated Errors and Will Be Closed by Windows (298130)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Windows 2000 Server SP1
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server SP2
Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP1
Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP2
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional SP1
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional SP2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This article was previously published under Q298130

SYMPTOMS
When you start your computer, you may receive the following error message:
Winmgmt.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created.
The error message appears approximately every 30 seconds.

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if files in the %SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem\Repository folder become corrupted. The error message appears repeatedly because Winmgmt.exe polls the files every 30 to 60 seconds.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, delete and then re-create the files in the %SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem\Repository folder:
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
Under Services and Applications, click Services, and then turn off and stop the Windows Management Instrumentation service.
Delete all of the files that are in the %SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem\Repository folder. (Make a backup copy before you delete the files.)
Open Services and Applications, click Services, and then turn on and start the Windows Management Instrumentation service. The files are recreated when the service restarts based on the information provided in the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WBEM\CIMOM\Autorecover MOFs

NOTE: Some programs will not add their Managed Object Format (MOF) files to this list, in this case, rebuilding the WMI database may cause those programs to generate errors or fail and may require more troubleshooting of their specific WMI requirements.

Yay, it finally went away!!!!

I was suffering from the dreaded :evil: winmgmt.exe error and it used to take me like 15 minutes to start up my computer but i did what chigger and RealBlackStuff said (edited it then disabled it) and I restarted my computer and low and behold it didnt give me THE error and it only took 2 minutes to start up :angel: so hats off to both of you. it was a real big help!!!!!

yahoo msg problem

Sir,
when i start yahoo messenger is show a msg yahoomessenger.exe has generated errors and is closed by windows.Kindly give me soution.

OK the solution to this problem is actually quite simple...

What has happened is a system config file has been corrupted...

go to:

C:\WINNT\system32\wbem\Repository

in there you will find a file named:

$WinMgmt.CFG$

DELETE IT... trust me... or if you don't, rename it to $WinMgmt.CFG.OLD or something...

SHUT DOWN... and Power Back Up again... when you log back in it will give you the same message once... wait till the OK button appears (this should restart WinMgmt.exe)...
CLICK OK... and you should be good to go...

if for some reaspon WinMgmt.exe doesn't automatically start you can double-click it at:

C:\WINNT\system32\wbem\winmgmt.exe

happy computing... hope this works for everyone!

thanks Jeff WIlliams it is the best easy solution to solve the broplem, after read alot of papers realy thank you it help.

Back