Some electrical suggestion any one

By phoenix87 ยท 9 replies
Jan 24, 2009
  1. hi friends

    i m facing lot of trouble due to lack of proper ground on to the electrical supply which i connect to my system....

    can anyone suggest me any alternate way that i can use to get proper ground(earthing)
    to my system

    thanks in advance..
  2. jobeard

    jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 11,138   +985

    U.S. A/C has two prong (<pre xxx) and three prong (Type B NEMA 5-15 or 5-20) wall outlets
    see this

    Color Codes:
    • Black == HOT
    • White = Neutral
    • Green = ground

    *IF* you are comfortable with working on 120 v/ac, you can do the work,
    OR hire an electrician to change a two prong to a three prong-grounded circuit.
  3. phoenix87

    phoenix87 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 24

    we use 240v /ac supply here

    is there any detailed tutorial to do this ?
  4. raybay

    raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +10

    There is ample information online for whatever country you live... This is a major safety issue, and all sorts of help should be available... or call your local electrical supply organization.
  5. jobeard

    jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 11,138   +985

    I've never seen 240 without a proper ground -- what kind of problem are you having?

    You can usually get a circuit tester at a hardware store to show the polarity is correct and that the ground is ok
  6. phoenix87

    phoenix87 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 24

    i am getting lot of electrical feedback form the surface of my appliances

    is there any component that can be attached to get proper 100% earthing
  7. kimsland

    kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,523

    Well 240V is:

    Green\Yellow stripes=Earth

    So this type of awareness on electrical safety, is a big concern

    Best to get an A grade qualified electrical engineer to check it
    Plus an Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker ;)
  8. Rage_3K_Moiz

    Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,443   +38

    Why not just use an extension cord with a power strip, like this one?
    They usually have their own grounded terminals and a GFCI (aka a circuit breaker) for added protection.
  9. jobeard

    jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 11,138   +985

    the power strip relies upon a good ground at the outlet, and that appears to be in question here.

    So there's A/C hum? how do you observe the problem -- feedback in your sound card?

    A/C hum is particularly difficult to filter, as the hi-pass, low-pass filtering technique
    works when two 'signals' are at different freqencies, say power at 50hz and 'noise' at 440 cps (ie international 'A').

    Each appliance needs to be better 'grounded'.

    Again, your best advice is get a profession to investigate!
  10. Rage_3K_Moiz

    Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,443   +38

    So? All power strips come with a varistor between each of the wires, which presents adequate protection IMO. More expensive ones come with a multi-LC circuit breaker that acts in exactly the same way as a varistor, but does not degrade nearly as fast.

    And besides, power strips are real cheap. Wouldn't hurt to try it IMO.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...