Some real creepy stuff.. [HJT log + pics]

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenguinX

Alright so earlier I was playing Dawn of War DC, then I quit the game and noticed my computer was kinda sluggish. So I restarted but the problem persists. I ran AVG and Spybot S&D and nothing came up. I tried running AdAware, but it gets stuck on a reg key at around the ~71k mark, and won't proceed further.

Also, I cannot access the control panel without it giving me an explorer.exe error and restarting explorer.

This is what happens if I click the little Windows security center icon in the taskbar.

When I look at task manager, under username all that appears are boxes.

And while uploading the log I got a dialog box asking if I wanted to "Format C" so I'm kinda freaked out now. Thanks for looking.

Well I would love to leave formating as a last effort, I had to do it this summer and it's always a real pain. So, I guess "Clean".

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go and read this thread HERE, then post a fresh renamed HJT log. Make sure you place HJT in the proper location.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of PenguinX only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Run HJT with no other programmes open. Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O4 - Global Startup: restore.bat

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT and reboot your system.

Post a fresh HJT log and let me know if you`re still having problems.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of PenguinX only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Aye, unfortunately the symptoms I listed still persist, and I can see no obvious change regarding the deleted file. New log attached.

Your HJT log is clean.

Go HERE and follow the instructions for downloading, installing and running AVG Antispyware. Post an AVG Antispyware log.

If that turns out to be clean, then I suggest you do a Windows repair as per this thread HERE.

Thanks for the continued help Howard!

I ran the AVG anti spyware, and it picked up a bunch of cookies, and a trojan (!), and some dropper thing. Not sure if I was supposed to, but I deleted all of these as instructed by the program. Log attached is below the deletion. This, however, still does not solve the problem, and another run of AdAware again stops it at that registry entry, so it seems the problem lies in my registry somewhere. Should I do the repair or is there another course of action?

Do the following.

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how HERE.

Now turn system restore back on. This will have deleted all your restore points and the trojans that are in them. It will also have created a new restore point.

Now run a Windows repair as per the instructions in the link I gave you.

let us know the results please.

Can't believe this, it's still going on... even after all that. *Sigh* so much for toiling away to keep my system in tip-top shape.:dead:

If that`s after doing a Windows repair, you probably need to think about backing up your important data and doing a complete reformat and reinstall.

Regards Howard :(

Yep that's after the repair. At least I got some time to back up stuff and whatnot... :(

Thanks for all the help.

Either your system still has someting nasty on it that isn`t showing up in scans, or the infections you did have, have damaged the OS.

Once you`re finished, please let us know how things turn out.

I`m sorry I wasn`t able to help you effectively.

Good luck.

I`m sorry to hear that mate.

It definitely sounds like a reformat time.

I'm back from the hospital and on the front line. ;)

Um, not really much more to say, obviously everything running smoothly now, luckily I still had most of my data saved so I didn't really lose much or anything important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back