Someone Hackintoshed macOS Big Sur onto a custom-built handheld computer

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
WTF?! When it comes to porting software to unusual platforms, it's often a question of "can I do it" rather than "is it practical." Doom on an Ikea smart lamp? Sure. Skyrim on Alexa? Why not? How about macOS Big Sur on a pocket PC? Yep.

YouTuber T Sanglay Jr (iketsj) posted a video on Monday showing how he installed Big Sur on a handheld computer. Running macOS on a tiny screen with a compact keyboard is not optimal for using Apple's operating system, but it's still pretty cool.

However, it was not an off-the-shelf device. It uses an Arduino Leonardo microcontroller board, 8GB RAM, and a 240GB SSD. Sanglay cobbled it together using a LattePanda Alpha SBC (single board computer) with an Intel Core m3 processor and a custom 3D-printed chassis.

As far as Hackintoshes are concerned, it's pretty neat but far from practical. Sanglay even jokingly admits that it's not the best application for macOS.

"Maybe you'll say that the handheld macOS is not practical, yada yada yada. Well, sure, you're right. I just want to make one for myself," he said.

He also said it cost him more than an M1 Mac Mini to make, so it's not likely you'll see too many other people DIYing one of these.

Permalink to story.

Sanglay even jokingly admits that it's not the best application for macOS.
He's wrong. I just wasted so much time on something trivial with that OS, I'm gonna throw my authoritah at it, by saying it is in fact the best use for that crap OS!

62240980.jpg

I really like the chassis design and PKB. I'd unironically use it... but with an actual OS, not Apple's Fisher-Price panopticon.

I really like the chassis design and PKB. I'd unironically use it... but with an actual OS, not Apple's Fisher-Price panopticon.
Yeah, I really like the look of his chassis design a lot, but I can't stand trying to use squished-together keyboards like that. I can get used to it, but I still don't like it. Just like I'm used to the software keyboard on my phone--but I don't like it. I just tolerate it for a lack of anything else. That said, his design would have sold well in the early 2000s from a form-factor standpoint.

Back