Sonos to launch budget-friendly soundbar in the coming weeks

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Sonos is preparing to launch a budget soundbar that'll reportedly be the company's most affordable yet. In its standalone configuration, the Sonos Ray will support Dolby Digital audio and connect to your television via optical cable. It can also be used in a 5.1 setup alongside other Sonos speakers, and can even be mounted vertically for use as rear surround sound speakers.

Sources familiar with the company's plans and internal documents seen by The Verge suggest the Sonos Ray (model S36 and codenamed Fury) will retail for around $249. To hit that price point, Sonos had to leave out key features like Dolby Atmos, built-in microphones and HDMI connectivity.

The soundbar is also said to have fewer speakers than other models in the company's lineup.

Despite not having integrated mics, users will still be able to lean on voice controls since Sonos' platform is compatible with Google Nest and Amazon Echo speakers.

Sonos is rumored to have at least a couple of other new products in the pipeline for 2022 including a set of wireless headphones and a subwoofer that's smaller and more affordable than its existing offering.

Retailer Ktronix accidentally published a listing for the sound bar this week, further supporting The Verge's claim that the product is real and likely to launch in the near future. The listing has since been removed but is still visible via Google's cached snapshot.

Image credit Jako Janse van Rensburg

Permalink to story.

I have heard good things about Sonos and may give one of their sound systems a try. I currently have a Klipsch Cinema 1200 5.1.4 that has been nothing but trouble.

Uh... $250 isn't too budget friendly in my book. I mean, yeah, great form factor, you can put it under your TV. But that's about it. You can get 2 Ikea Symfonisks (=Sonos) for this price.

If this thing sells, it will be on the Sonos name alone. No HDMI means no ARC. How are they going to adjust volume without ARC? That should be a deal breaker.

I have heard good things about Sonos and may give one of their sound systems a try. I currently have a Klipsch Cinema 1200 5.1.4 that has been nothing but trouble.
I got a Sonos Beam and 2x OneSLs for surround sound in 2020 just before the pandemic. Love them. Fairly pricey, the setup was about £655 but the quality is really good. Easy to adjust EQ and settings via the phone app. Made watching big action films so much better

Uh... $250 isn't too budget friendly in my book. I mean, yeah, great form factor, you can put it under your TV. But that's about it. You can get 2 Ikea Symfonisks (=Sonos) for this price.
You'd be surprised what's called "budget" when it comes to sound bars and audio systems. Anything under $300-400 is considered budget, and anything under $100 is considered "trash".

You'd be surprised what's called "budget" when it comes to sound bars and audio systems. Anything under $300-400 is considered budget, and anything under $100 is considered "trash".
Ah, the pretention of the audiophile world. My $100 Insignia bookshelf speakers I have connected to my TV sound great.

If this thing sells, it will be on the Sonos name alone. No HDMI means no ARC. How are they going to adjust volume without ARC? That should be a deal breaker.
I connect my Sonos Playbar over optical from my Samsung TV. Got Apple TV connected on HDMI and its remote works to control the volume--maybe it depends on setup but hasn't been an issue for me

Ah, the pretention of the audiophile world. My $100 Insignia bookshelf speakers I have connected to my TV sound great.
You're absolutely right. I got myself a TCL for about $40 (usually at $70-80) and it sounds good enough for it's intended purpose.

Back