Sony bans Fallout 4, Skyrim mods on the PlayStation 4

Shawn Knight

Staff member

One of the great things about hit titles like Skyrim and Fallout 4 are the mods. With the latter game, for example, Bethesda introduced support for user-created mods on the PC back in April – less than six months after the game’s launch. Official Fallout 4 mod support arrived on the Xbox One a month later.

Bethesda at the time said PlayStation 4 gamers could expect to receive mod support via the Creation Kit sometime in June. Of course, that date came and went and following a series of cryptic updates, we now know the source of the holdup – Sony.

A post on Bethesda’s website on Friday says that after months of discussion with Sony, they regret to say that Sony will not approve user mod support on the PlayStation 4 for both Fallout 4 and Skyrim Special Edition. Bethesda adds that they are disappointed by the decision as they have invested a considerable amount of time and effort to build mod support for the system, noting that the update has been ready to go for a while now.

All things considered, PlayStation 4 gamers won’t be getting proper mod support for the games until Sony changes its stance which probably isn’t going to happen. Bethesda promised to provide an update if / when the situation changes.

Permalink to story.

The issue with allowing mods in console, is that they might push the hardware to "slow" ends, which will start a sony hate wave for allowing modding that hinder performance, in the end they will take the blame anyhow, but not because of slow hardware.

The issue with allowing mods in console, is that they might push the hardware to "slow" ends, which will start a sony hate wave for allowing modding that hinder performance, in the end they will take the blame anyhow, but not because of slow hardware.
I suppose Sony could save their bacon with a small utility which reports on complexity ('Based on complexity, the mod you introduced should drop your FPS below XX. Proceed at your own risk.') and let the modders loose.

Why the hell can't Sony just put a stupid disclaimer on when running mods? This is the kind of crap that pisses people off.

This is one of the reasons, among many many more reasons why I refuse to buy a console.

A "hate wave" the the Xbox is immune to?

This is the reason I buy consoles just for a select few games and a glorified streaming device. I rather like PS4 for playstation vue and all the other streaming usuals, along with a few good games.

Fallout 4 and Skyrim and 90% of my games I will play on PC.

Back