Sony burner problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had a Sony desktop for several years. I have also used the original dvd burner that came with it, plus 2 others I purchased that are different brands. I have also changed the cables on this computer that connect the dvd to the motherboard and power.

Still, I have the same problem. The dvd burner will work absolutely perfectly for a few months. Then it will take a bad spell where it will stop burning. It will show it burns, but the dvd ends up empty. Or it won't recognize the dvd is in the burner. (Tells me to put in a blank one...and I do...several.) I have tried this with 5-6 different brands of dvds, all do exactly the same. I have tried this with Ashampoo and Nero, as well as others, with the same result.

I usually try everything to get it to work, and finally, in a few days, it will go back to working. I will try cleaning it, changing dvd brands, uninstall the dvd burner, uninstall the software, unplugging everything, uninstalling the drivers, and eventually something (I don't have a clue what) works.

Other than tossing this Sony out a window, which I would do if I could afford it, is there anyone here with an idea of how to fix this problem permanently???

Thank you.

Proofer

Typical problem in certain Sony models... other than talking to tech support for a fix under warranty, there isn't much Sony is going to do for you... But there are Sony support businesses you may find with a Gurgle search that will help you fix it for a small price.

raybay,

Thank you for responding. At least I know it isn't just me. And since it is in the Sony itself, I'll quit trying to buy new dvd burners or change dvd brands.

For anyone else with this problem, the only short-term fix I've found is to re-format the computer. Then the dvd burner goes back to working like a charm for a few months again.

One of these years, when I'm rich and famous, maybe I can afford another desktop. My desktop is past it's warranty days, and costs for a repairman would be out of my budget as well. Such is life. hahaha

Proofer

You could just replace the burner, no need to go replacing everything. You should be able to get a DVD burner for $25 or less (pre-shipping) online.

Until your last post I was convinced it was just a hardware issue, and I still think it is, but its odd that a reformat fixes it... Perhaps look into a firmware update for your burner.

Avoid SONY and NEC Burners.. They seem to act-up like you have mentioned specially on DL models. SAT II seems to be more stable than the IDE version of the past.

Hi,

I've already replaced the dvd burner twice. Once with a Sony, and now I have a Lite-On ATAPI ADH20A4P. All with the same results. And I also make sure the firmware is updated with each one.

I went ahead and re-formatted my C drive last night, and I just burned the same movie DVD I tried doing yesterday, and this one turned out fine. Used Ashampoo 7 again.

Another odd thing is that when the burner goes bad, Ashampoo will either not recognize the DVD that's in it, or it will go ahead and burn and tell me it burned fine, but the resulting DVD will either be blank but not re-usable, or it will show I have a movie on it, but only on the computer, not on my dvd player for my TV. So it's all quite weird.

I've already become quite annoyed with the proprietary Sony system. Very hard to replace a lot of the hardware unless you get Sony, which I don't like. I had a HP before I had this Sony, and I am very sorry I switched.

Proofer

I would say that it working after a reformat/reinstall almost completely rules out it being a hardware problem. When you reinstall, are you doing so from 'restore' disks or a partition, or are you doing it with a standalone Windows install disk? There may be something you are installing that conflicts with what you are burning the disks with.

I agree with SNGX1275... you have a software issue somewhere in your system.
There are lots of problems with Sony and Nec, but this is somthing entirely different.

See [post=729301] here to remove your upper and lower CD/DVD filters[/post] Bad / corrupt filters can cause a variety of problems. So, in your case, i understand that while you don't report the devices "missing" filter issues can still be the root cause with burning problems. Definitely give it a try

/* EDIT */
btw.. are you vista or XP? as if XP you might also look here

I'm using XP. And I'm reformatting from the disks that came from Sony. I have used 2 different sets, so I doubt that those are the problem, since it always returns.

I have used Ashampoo, Nero, Roxio, and several other big name and small name burning softwares, with the same result. And I try the various ones with new reformats, so there isn't a burning software conflict.

I have come to the conclusion that it must be the Sony computer, since it is the only thing that I haven't changed. Changing dvd burner hardware, cables and power supplies has made no different with the problem. I suppose it will slowly continue to get worse, until it is a candidate for the trashcan and I'm left without a computer at all.

Proofer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back