Sony delays PlayStation 3 motion controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Those of you who were eagerly anticipating getting your hands on Sony's PlayStation 3 motion controller sometime this spring will have to wait a little longer. The company has officially pushed back the release by six months as it looks to ensure a wider variety of compatible titles at launch, which they plan to disclose "soon."

The delay means losing the launch advantage it had over Microsoft's Project Natal system, which is slated for a fall release just in time for the year-end holidays, though we're probably better off waiting a bit more than getting half-baked implementations in advance. The new controller is designed to work with the PlayStation Eye camera, which tracks the glowing ball mounted on its end, and reflects the precise movement within the game.

This sort of gameplay was pioneered by the Nintendo Wii more than three years ago, which helped them bring a whole new audience to the video gaming world -- an audience that both Sony and Microsoft are now after.

Permalink to story.

Hoo-boy...could have some fun making jokes about what that thing really looks like. ;)

That controller looks like a sex toy to give your girlfriend some good vibrations after midnight.

This is a good move by SONY.... quality control is paramount with those guys, not to mention getting the Devs to support it as well. Am sure M$ Natal will be delayed as well....if not, then we can be assured another huge billion dollar warranty bill on the horizon.

It doesn't seem interesting to me, the games you will be able to play with that will probably be casual like those in the wii, soo, not for me

I don't like the design, but if the tech demo I watched stays true, it should feel less gimmicky than the Wii. Although I haven't seen what the plan is for a left analog stick, and i hope they don't plan to only utilize this for games that work around needing one...Since it's already been mentioned I'll just say that i think that if project Natal can control well I will like it better than Nintendo or Sony's motion controllers because the idea of no controller seems cooler than suggestive ones...

Lol... Looks like a stick that sends off some good vibes to the player :D

Bad jokes aside... i wouldn't wanna be seen playing with that with a PS3. Last thing i want my friends and relatives to see is me waving around what looks to be like a dildo glowing in the head, and me waving it at the television...

Not... a pretty... sight..... ahhh.....

Very simplistic approach compared to XBox360 Project Natal's handsfree motion/face/gestures/voice etc. detection (plus on Natal it's a separate processor on the add-on camera-like device)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back