Sony DVD burner problem...HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Sony DRU-510A 4x burner that I've been using for years now and I have never had an issue burning onto disc until I bought 16x dvd-r media. I'm figuring that my burner is just outdated to burn 16x disc (no matter what brand, but I use Memorex). I use DVD Shrink and Nero 6 for the software. Can someone tell me if this is just how it is or is there something that can be corrected.

your burner should at least burn the 16X media at 4X. there are TWO potential problems, first a burner that old may not have the correct burning strategy for newer 16X media, ( Have you ever updated the burners firmware?) second memorex is poor quality media whose quality often varies from one batch to the next. you could try verbatim or maxwell media.

That DRU-510A has no trouble burning, but if you use Nero or Creative, you need to reduce the speed of the burn to 4X or 8X. Both Nero and Creative offer free downloads to their software that helps compensate for this problem.

But remember also that burners are like lightbulbs and can burn out... the average useful life of a Sony Burner is only a year, so your drive might be shot... recommend you replace it with a good ol cheap LG for $20

Thanks for the response iss and raybay, but I took the first suggestion and updated my firmware and unfortunately still have the same problem. I would consider that the burner is just burnt out but I just finished burning a 4x and 8x disc w/ no problems. Its only when I burn 16x disc, maybe I will just have to live w/ it. Raybay, you mentioned that there are software downloads for Nero (which I currently use) would you be able to point me in the direction of how I might go about obtaining those downloads? Thanks

You can go to www.nero.com, then at the top of the bar there is a bar for Support and on for Downloads. Look also at support news. There are downloads for Nero 4, 5, 6, and 7. All versions have at least some important downloads.
Some versions of Nero that were suppled as OEM PRODUCTS in a CD RW box or with a computer, must be downloaded from the seller, but most are at the nero site.

it is also possible that you simply have a bad batch of 16X media (It happens) I agree with raybay in that DVD burners are currently dirt cheap and yuo can certainly get a good Lg for less that 30.00 to replace the aging sony. and you might seriously want to consider this option is that the problem could be that the sony is in the process of dying.

Go With The Flow.....

I owned a TSST OEM dual layer multi format DVD drive. I would never burn a DVD-Video compatible with stand alone players unless I used DVD+R media.
I thought Nero dialed back the speed of the burn automatically based on the drive. (It does when using Recode). On the burn page you can set the speed (I have Ver.6.6 (final update of 6.0)). The TSST is history, replaced by Pioneer. I'm still mad about Sony's rootkit DRM fiasco, although it never affected me personally. (This is probably an argument against replacing the Sony drive with a new Sony).

Thanks again for the response, I guess I will be shopping for new burner and downgrading my sony to be used as a dvd-rom and cd burner (since I have no issues doing that). Any suggestions on brands and models of burners I should consider. Thanks

checkout the LG burners they have a good reputation and are cheap. the BenQ burners were great burners and cheap but BenQ sold it's optical drive business to Lite On. ( your sony is a rebadged lite on BTW) so the supply of BenQ burners has pretty much dried up. if you got the bucks you could go for a Plextor 760A before they are all gone as they are probably the last plextor built DVD burners, newer models are rebadged lite ons. but for a budget burner that works great the LG's are hard to beat right now.

Nisama said:
I have a Sony DRU-510A 4x burner that I've been using for years now and I have never had an issue burning onto disc until I bought 16x dvd-r media. I'm figuring that my burner is just outdated to burn 16x disc (no matter what brand, but I use Memorex). I use DVD Shrink and Nero 6 for the software. Can someone tell me if this is just how it is or is there something that can be corrected.
I found that many 16X disks did not allow you to burn lower than 6X or 8X,
check the min recommendations for you brand.
I really love my OLD DVD external 3X... burns DVD-RW like crazy... but not many of the NEW disks.

First I have heard of drives not burning slowly... since the early ones burned at 2x and 4x.

The Sony 510A, and related models, have a history of a very high failure rate... and did not work well with some discs... even those sold under the Sony label. I list Sony as one of six burner brands to avoid. Others are LaCie, HLDS, HP, Acer, and ASUS. I hear that the Sony is now made by NEC, so maybe they will get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back