Sony fully restores PlayStation Network, more attacks planned

Jos

Staff

As promised, Sony has begun the full restoration of its PlayStation Network services in all regions with the exception of Japan, Hong Kong, and South Korea.

The company made the announcement in a blog post last night, saying that customers once again have access to a huge lineup of downloadable games, demos, add-on content, themes, avatars and videos from the PlayStation Store, while Plus subscribers should see new full game trials and other freebies.

The promised content as part of the Welcome Back offer to customers is not yet live, though. Sony says it is currently in the final stages of testing and will make the content available to download soon.

Sony cut off its PlayStation Network and Qriocity service on April 20, a day after detecting what it called a "very sophisticated" intrusion that compromised the personal data of over 100 million users. A partial restoration began two weeks ago -- on May 15, 2011 in the Americas and Europe/PAL territories, followed by Asian countries and regions on May 28, 2011 -- with online game play, account management, friend lists, and chat functionality.

The company has estimated it will need to set aside around $171 million to cover the costs of the investigation, cleanup and insurance needed to resolve the issue, as well as implementing updates to the network to prevent further occurrences. That doesn't include legal expenses from ongoing lawsuits, however, nor additional losses if identify theft or credit card fraud are detected as a result of the PSN security breach.

Sony has been in the crosshairs of hackers for a while now and it seems its problems may not yet over. Hacker group LulzSec has been promising attacks on Sony for the past few days, posting to its Twitter account that it is engaged in an operation dubbed 'Sownage,' shorthand for Sony Ownage, calling it the "beginning of the end" for the company.

Permalink to story.

I really hope the people responsible for the attacks on Sony are caught; else hackers will grow in confidence and wreak even more havoc than was done to Sony. There has to be some kind of message that this is a criminal offence, just like any other.

A group of people trying to limit other people's freedom to play on the console of their choice? Using threats and actions to coerce innocent users to reject a company?

I think there's a word for this.

Think there could be a way of tracking the people down who are responsible for these attacks and those threatening future attacks. I would personally enjoy punching these ****** in the face and beating them within an inch of they're pathetic meaningless lives... Can you tell I've grown fed up with the inability to use my PS3?

All and all if this attacks keep happening I'll be sad if sony goes down the tubes. To the hackers if you don't like there product or its policies just don't buy it?

So what are social media like Facebook and Twitter doing about these lowlifes who have the balls to post their threats online? Isn't breaking into a private network illegal? They are just like those people you find on online games who talk a lot of smack knowing that they are safe behind their tv screens away from harm. They are like the ten year olds who are ten feet tall on Call of Duty. These hackers are just like those cheaters online who enjoy playing on a non-level playing field. They must really suck at video games that they need to cheat. So are these "hackers" who need to cheat in order to get some kind of recognition. People on Playstation Network need to take action and report these cheaters. It all starts from the bottom. If you see cheaters, report them on the Playstation Network. Go to Support and then report them. I am tired of hearing players complain. That is all they do. They should do their part and report cheaters/hackers.

@treetops: They like the product. What they don't like is the fact that when you buy the product you don't actually own it according to Sony... Sony just needs to let things be rather than trying to look like a big shot. They're attracting attention from the wrong people.

Man, these hackers are some sort of full of themselves, eh? Judge, jury and executioners all on their say so alone. And some people are stupid enough to defend them. Brilliant...

@treetops: They like the product. What they don't like is the fact that when you buy the product you don't actually own it according to Sony... Sony just needs to let things be rather than trying to look like a big shot. They're attracting attention from the wrong people.

If you don't like it don't buy it... Its like throwing a brick threw a store keepers window in the middle of the night because you bought red shoes from him and you don't like the color red.

Store keep "this is a red shoe store if you don't like it shop somewhere else"

Brick thrower "you should not make red shoes! I am going to throw bricks until you change your shoe colors!"

All the hackers are doing is messing with Sony and affecting the 100 million other user that like their products.
Which proves they don't care about the users.

you are right, i dont know why the consumers block open thoughts about this cuz, you are right, why we should be censured? if the company were in our shoes they will destroys us at any cost, so you are right, and fot the others that blame hackers, crackers, etc etc for not playing Online bcuz the innocents blablabla....if you have a ps3 you are in this mess....so why the ppl search empty excuses to blame someone else? think ppl think on your own

If the hackers do not agree with Sony's policies, they should be educating end-users of that fact. Penalizing those users who bought the 'wrong' console is unfair, and wrong. It only will end up hurting the hackers in the end, as Sony will just use these attacks to support and push for even harsher, more restrictive policing of the internet, and copyright rules. That hurts everyone.

well the things usually start at some point , there is no best time than this, or maybe in 20 years in the future when the companies rule everything bcuz no 1 do something about it

I agree, governments need to start throwing the book at these people, regardless of how small the attack.

Sony won't comply with such a simple request. They'll go down with the ship before re-enabling Other OS. I hope other companies will learn from Sony's mistakes.

You own the product alright. Sony was just closing up a security vulnerability. If PS3 owners are creating software to cheat at games or play illegal ones, Sony has the right to protect themselves and true gamers. If they didn't like it they should have gotten their money back, not take illegal action. That just proves they were nothing but criminals in the first place.

These "hackers" are nothing more than opportunists who wanted to make money off the sale of customer info onto the black market. I'm not surprise that people put the blame solely on Sony but lets be realistic, these cowards that did the hacking should be blamed too.

gunsablazin said:
PS3 owners...true gamers.

Pardon me? Yah console gamers are true gamers all right. I love autoaim, dumbed down gameplay and small levels. That's what true gamers play with.

You own the product alright.

According to sony you obviously don't, because they can change what they wish and control what you do. That violated the very concept of ownership.

Sony was just closing up a security vulnerability

Try multiple security vulnerabilities, many of which wouldn't have been there even for a novice programmer. Storing info in unencrypted text files? Give me a ****ing break. They didn't even update the linux version the servers were running, and they were hacked AGAIN by a simply SQL injection. That's a pathetic novice error, no wait, even a novice IT worker wouldn't **** up the security that bad.

If PS3 owners are creating software to cheat at games or play illegal ones.

It wasn't to cheat. The initial hack was to re-enable a feature that sony removed. How about you take that sony **** out of your mouth and start thinking for yourself. Regurgitating what sony tells you isn't going to score you any points with the crowd who actually knows what is going on.

PinothyJ said:
the "beginning of the end" for the company
Who the hell gave twelve year old boys hacking knowledge?

FFS…

Yah because a bunch of 12 year olds with python can take down a multinational corporation.. /sarcasm.

@princeton: True gamers appreciate good games regardless of what platform they are on.

hello ...

this is bad, really bad! ... now there is little we can do before 'that' law is passed :(

i even once thought that some companies would try to simulate such attacks to force the authorities to take actions, but the hackers themselves are digging their own graves,

OK it has begun, i'll have more job to do soon :S

cheers!

Back