Sony is shifting its Steam titles from the PlayStation Mobile brand to PlayStation PC

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In brief: As PlayStation Studios continues to kick former exclusives out to into the PC market, Sony has decided its should create an official PlayStation PC brand. It was formerly lumping triple-A titles like Days Gone in with its PlayStation Mobile brand. So far it has only moved a few titles under the publishing LLC, but moving forward we can expect to see more ports taking on the PlayStation PC label.

It appears that Sony has begun using a new "PlayStation PC" branding. Resetera users spotted the change on Wednesday. Steam descriptions now list "PlayStation PC LLC" as the publisher on some PC versions of PlayStation games. They were previously under the PlayStation Mobile label. So far, only Days Gone, Helldivers, and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture are using the new brand.

Sony filed the limited liability company in California last April but formed the label in October 2020. The move makes sense considering how Sony has spent considerable focus on bringing former PlayStation exclusives to PC gamers.

Over the last year, the console maker has released a few AAA titles on Steam, including Horizon Zero Dawn, Predator: Hunting Grounds, and Days Gone. One of Sony's biggest exclusives, God of War, launches on Steam in January. The company is also committed to porting Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection to PC sometime in 2022 and has indicated it has no plans to slow down there.

In June, PlayStation Studio head Herman Hulst said the plan is to continue releasing PlayStation titles into the PC ecosystem, but they are still trying to figure out the timing. Hulst said the last thing PlayStation Studios wants to do is compromise console or first-party exclusive sales. Right now, it appears that PC players will have to wait about two years to play AAA exclusives.

"We're still early on in our planning for PC. And Horizon Zero Dawn has been very successful. Bend Studio just released the PC version of Days Gone on May 18. So that's about two years after the PS4 release," Hulst said. "Releasing games on PC will not come ever at the expense of building an exciting lineup of great console games."

Releasing PlayStation games into the PC market is a good move, especially for titles that have exhausted their console-sales potential. As we progress into 2022, it would not be surprising to see several older exclusives like The Last of Us or Gran Turismo Sport hit Steam under the PlayStation PC brand.

Permalink to story.

Good. And I hope they see the benefit of also launching them much sooner than the last few...

Sweet, pair those games with trainers and boom infinite replay value, guess there's no reason to buy a ps5 for me now.

Hopefully they start porting some of their good games, like the first three uncharteds (the "colelction" onyl has 4 and its spin off), the ratchet and clank games, motorstorm, ece. Maybe the earlier god of wars too.

Smart people will be patient and hold off until a console game is thoroughly debugged, ported to PC and then hold off a little longer until the PC version is debugged (and it will probably be cheaper by then anyway). I'll never understand how people can be so weak as to cave in to the "must have on day one" hype.

Haven they learned anything from Microsoft? You keep using too few words

Games for Windows Live would like to have a word!

Sweet, pair those games with trainers and boom infinite replay value, guess there's no reason to buy a ps5 for me now.
Yep, this is how I'm looking at it. Long as I get to play their best games within three years of launch I'll be happy. In other good news Switch games now run perfectly on emulators. While I would potentially but a PS5 the switch doesn't interest me, so it's nice that there is this backdoor way to enjoy the latest Mario or Zelda games that I have always loved (and supported back when they made cutting edge consoles).

I want the final fantasy 7 remake on the PC! It’s been 18 months and no announcements yet.

When Sony funds alot of these "exclusives" nothing is guarranteed.

I hope we will get all the PS exclusives on PC, sadly I think Sony is only releasing all these games now to get people to buy a PS5 for the sequel, which probaly won't come to PC (or it will take many years), so for example when people who have played HZD on PC see that PS5 owners play HZD2, what will they do? Buy a PS5 or wait for years (if it even comes for PC), or buy PS NOW 😂

I think it makes a lot of sense for Sony to eventually port exclusive titles to PC. But I believe they will deliberately delay it for more than a year or 2 to do so. The reason is because, if you look at say prices of older exclusive titles, they are actually quite low now. But pushing these games to PC after a couple of years, they can revitalise the prices. So looking at GOW, they are launching the game on PC at the initial MSRP, so giving them a bump in their revenue.

And after all is said and done........PC gaming was supposed to be dead by now....oh how things change!

When Sony funds alot of these "exclusives" nothing is guarranteed.

I hope we will get all the PS exclusives on PC, sadly I think Sony is only releasing all these games now to get people to buy a PS5 for the sequel, which probaly won't come to PC (or it will take many years), so for example when people who have played HZD on PC see that PS5 owners play HZD2, what will they do? Buy a PS5 or wait for years (if it even comes for PC), or buy PS NOW 😂
Oh well guess I won’t play those games. No way am I paying for some garbage console that doesn’t let you use a mouse and keyboard.

Back