Sony: PS5 production will ramp up, "hopes" supply will improve in second half of 2021

midian182

Staff member
Forward-looking: If you’re one of the many people, this writer included, still failing to secure a PS5, Sony feels your pain, but the company previously warned that demand could outweigh supply throughout 2022. However, Sony Interactive Entertainment president and CEO Jim Ryan says he “hopes” the situation will return to normal in the second half of the year.

The PlayStation 5 is one of many products that have been frustratingly difficult to find in stock since launching late last year. The pandemic-induced unprecedented demand and chip shortages, combined with scalpers, have ensured that buying one is a combination of luck and persistence.

Following the release of the company’s financial results last month, Sony Chief Financial Officer Hiroki Totoki warned that even if the firm could secure more components and boost PS5 production next year, supply still won’t be able to catch up with demand. But Ryan has a more optimistic outlook. “We’re working as hard as we can to ameliorate that situation,” he told Wired.

“We see production ramping up over the summer and certainly into the second half of the year, and we would hope to see some sort of return to normality in terms of the balance between supply and demand during that period,” Ryan added.

Sony revealed that 7.8 million PS5 units have already been sold, more than the PS4 managed during the same launch period. We don’t know how many of these were bought only to be resold at a profit, though.

With warnings that the chip shortage will last well into next year, Ryan could just be trying to appease angry fans more than anything; the use of the word “hope” is pretty telling. He previously told the Financial Times that there was no guarantee of demand for the PS5 being met by the time the 2021 holiday season rolls around. Still, we can always hope.

Permalink to story.

“Production” isn’t the problem

SCALPING is the problem.

Solution: Ship directly to individual consumers until demand meets supply.

I already got mine: I just wanna help the little guy.

I got an Xbox Series X for the MSRP on Monday, it took me a whole 7 days of checking my tweet stock alert...

So Sony themselves just said a few days ago, PS5 will remain bad through 2022 and now we see this. Let's face it no one has a clue about supply going forward and there's nothing to suggest it can improve quickly. I'm not even sure we'll be able to get Zen 4 readily at the end of 2022.

Last edited:
I still remember the outrage people had over Sony contacting long time players/active players about ordering them, saying stuff like "one way to ensure to good reviews is get the fanboys playing first". Bet people wish they extended that more, actually Sony probably wish they did it.

If I was Sony, and I knew there will be stock shortage, I would had somehow made a partnership with the major retailers that you can only order if you have at some point an active PS+ account for X amount of time or exceed a certain threshold such as trophies; like you need to do login check. The reasoning is that the people who are more likely desperate enough to buy from a scalper at stupid prices are the diehard fans, get them their consoles, let them be the guinea pigs as they work the teething issues on software. And this way, the profit margin from scalpers are lower and make it less viable to buy large amount of stock of it.

I mean, they are more likely to spend on more games a year, it makes sense economically. But is a bit late for that. The only way forward is to just make more and to not buy from scalpers as the longer they hold on to their stock, the sooner that it reaches a point where they would realistically make more money elsewhere. But all they can do is hope stock will rise, so is not even a certain thing.

I got an Xbox Series X for the MSRP on Monday, it took me a whole 7 days of checking my tweet stock alert...

Congrats, I was pretty lucky to get mine day one. That was cluster F**K by itself, luckily was able to preorder. I wasn't able to get a PS5 day one, and now getting one is on the back burner. Being the weaker of the two consoles, epically with ray tracing, its not the console I'd buy multiplat games for in the first place. And the PS5 currently has no exclusives I'd even care about picking up ATM. Ratchet and Clank would be fun, but no means a system seller.

Just picked up RE8 for the XSX a few days ago, haven't had much time to really play it. But Looks great and handles the ray tracing setting so much better than the PS5 version, that easily is 5-10fps less than the xbox version and in a weird fps range. That is actually pretty jarring if you don't have a VRR TV. I'm still waiting on Sony to update my X900H with VRR, another Sony product they dropped the ball with. I'm sure a class action will be in the future of this TV. TV's been out over a year and Sony promised a VRR update. Still no word...

Just picked up RE8 for the XSX a few days ago, haven't had much time to really play it. But Looks great and handles the ray tracing setting so much better than the PS5 version, that easily is 5-10fps less than the xbox version and in a weird fps range. That is actually pretty jarring if you don't have a VRR TV.
I haven't managed to see it myself but from what I've seen over at Digital Foundry, the two versions are nearly identical with only extremely brief moments where the framerate drops for a few seconds, the PS5 drops ever so slightly more than the Xbox Series X.

The Xbox Series S though, that looks terrible with Ray-Tracing enabled. I said it when the console launched and I'll keep saying it, Xbox Series S was a waste of time and not a next-gen console. Why Microsoft bothered, I have no idea.

The real difference in RE8 is the load times, Xbox Series X, 8 seconds, PS5, near enough instant (1.27 seconds of faded to black screen).

I haven't managed to see it myself but from what I've seen over at Digital Foundry, the two versions are nearly identical with only extremely brief moments where the framerate drops for a few seconds, the PS5 drops ever so slightly more than the Xbox Series X.

The Xbox Series S though, that looks terrible with Ray-Tracing enabled. I said it when the console launched and I'll keep saying it, Xbox Series S was a waste of time and not a next-gen console. Why Microsoft bothered, I have no idea.

The real difference in RE8 is the load times, Xbox Series X, 8 seconds, PS5, near enough instant (1.27 seconds of faded to black screen).
IDK what MS was thinking with the S either. Honestly the Hardware is good, just some poor choices IMO. Should have had atleast 12GB of RAM to match the old XB1X, as well as much higher GPU Clocks. The Low GPU clock on the S is just odd considering how much headroom RDNA2 has.

And Yes The difference between the XSX and PS5 version are not as bad as I made it seem, but there are points even in the DF video where the PS5 dips way harder than the XSX. Those Dips are noticeable when playing. Sadly the PS5 doesnt even have VRR yet. I sold hold firm that the PS5 version is the worse of the two.

Congrats, I was pretty lucky to get mine day one. That was cluster F**K by itself, luckily was able to preorder. I wasn't able to get a PS5 day one, and now getting one is on the back burner. Being the weaker of the two consoles, epically with ray tracing, its not the console I'd buy multiplat games for in the first place. And the PS5 currently has no exclusives I'd even care about picking up ATM. Ratchet and Clank would be fun, but no means a system seller.

Just picked up RE8 for the XSX a few days ago, haven't had much time to really play it. But Looks great and handles the ray tracing setting so much better than the PS5 version, that easily is 5-10fps less than the xbox version and in a weird fps range. That is actually pretty jarring if you don't have a VRR TV. I'm still waiting on Sony to update my X900H with VRR, another Sony product they dropped the ball with. I'm sure a class action will be in the future of this TV. TV's been out over a year and Sony promised a VRR update. Still no word...

I wasn't planning on buying the new xbox because I have a PC with a 3080 and a 5.0Ghz i9 10850K so I didn't need the console and my Sony 65XE9005 is an antique at this point but I did like the One X and I got the series X in the all access thing, it's £28.99 a month with Game Pass Ultimate for 2 years so even it I don't play it that much I still is worth it : -)

Back