Sony revealed the logo for the PlayStation 5 and the internet made fun of it

Cal Jeffrey

TS Evangelist
Staff member

Sony finally revealed its newly designed PS logo for the PlayStation 5 at CES 2020 on Monday (above). However, it is apparent the company did not spend a lot of time, money, or effort on the concept as it is pretty much unchanged from the PS4 other than the number.

As such, everyone has been poking fun at Sony’s lack of creativity. Twitter has been bombarded with PS5 memes and people showing the skills it took to “invent” the branding.

It’s somewhat ironic because, during Sony’s 30-minute CES keynote, CEO Kenichiro Yoshida touted the company’s creativity as being “unstoppable.” To be fair, Sony has not changed the PlayStation logo much since it redesigned it for the PlayStation 3. As the saying goes, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

It was rather unexpected that Sony Interactive Entertainment's President Jim Ryan even showed up to the event. While Sony has many non-gaming products to showcase at CES, just over a year ago, PlayStation announced that it would not be attending trade shows for the foreseeable future. Instead, it has been feeding fans news through sporadic livestreams.

However, other than the PS5 logo and a couple of montages of previously released and announced PS4 games, Ryan did not share anything new. His 10-minute presentation (below) could have been skipped, and nobody would have batted an eye.

That said, the exec did promise that they would be revealing more details on the PlayStation 5 as it approaches its launch this holiday season. Until then, we should thank Sony for showing off the “new” logo. It is proving to be barrels of laughs for the whole community.

Here's one last hilarious meme for the road:

Permalink to story.

amghwk

TS Guru
I don't see the need for the mocking or bashing by those twitter/online people. It's perfectly fine as it is and it's the next predictable evolution. What did they expect? Anyway, I'm sure most of those who mock will eventually buy it anyway.

JimboJoneson

TS Booster
I don't see the need for the mocking or bashing by those twitter/online people. It's perfectly fine as it is and it's the next predictable evolution. What did they expect? Anyway, I'm sure most of those who mock will eventually buy it anyway.
I think some of you guys are missing the context ... it was about all Sony did - at their big presentation at CES ...

"INTRODUCING! Our New Logo!!! ..... FIVE!!!" - there was a big unveiling of the "new logo" at CES ... the logo wasn't new ... they just used a 5 instead of a 4 - wooo big unveil!

Danny101

TS Evangelist
I think some of you guys are missing the context ... it was about all Sony did - at their big presentation at CES ...

"INTRODUCING! Our New Logo!!! ..... FIVE!!!" - there was a big unveiling of the "new logo" at CES ... the logo wasn't new ... they just used a 5 instead of a 4 - wooo big unveil!
Reminds me of LeBron James and his big reveal some years ago.

Plutoisaplanet

TS Addict
This is hilarious, the memes in 2020 are fantastic so far! I appreciate Sony for doing their part (by not doing anything)

DukeJukem

TS Booster
Is this the kind of thing people make fun of these days? what a joke lol. go make fun of a person to their face or something *****.

Reactions: CharmsD

Arris

TS Evangelist
I'd think the design of the unit looking like a hospital bed pan would attract more criticism than the design of the logo.

Cal Jeffrey

TS Evangelist
Staff member
I don't think they are making fun of the logo as much as they are poking fun at how Jim Ryan presented it at CES.

[In very dramatic voice]: "I'm pleased to share with you today, for the first time, our new logo."

And then his pause after it was shown, as if he expected applause. And the crowd's reaction. Nobody clapped. nobody laughed. It was crickets. And the look on his face -- You can tell he's thinking to himself, "Gee, this is awkward." It was a humorous situation, one that makes you glad it was someone else and not you.

amstech

IT Overlord
This is how pathetic and easily entertained parts of our culture have become. Sony has literally used this type of 'style' (maybe not the exact same font/creation but close) since the PS2.

captaincranky

TechSpot Addict
Oh well, as much as I tried not to get sucked into this, I decided to do some research on automobile logos, and I chose Honda for the search term.

Here's that image page:https://www.google.com/search?hs=718&sxsrf=ACYBGNSNZfZai_PBkxAwcXdei1yFXpi7qQ:1578706782108&q=honda+logo&tbm=isch&source=univ&client=opera&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjSwM6HtfrmAhVtiOAKHbCMAx0Q7Al6BAgFEEU&biw=1040&bih=1778

As you can see, it hasn't changed much over decades. The cars get the "H", and their motorcycles get the "wing".

Then I searched Wiki, and found that the "Honda Logo", was actually one of their car models.

Moving along, here's four decades of the Honda trademark:

Just think, in another twenty years or so, the Play Station logo may have put on some weight as well, as it approaches middle age.. :rolleyes:

Polycount

TS Evangelist
Staff member
I'm fine with it. The less drastic change a logo goes through during its lifespan, the better.

I don't mind texture or shading changes to make things more modern (the old Google logo vs the new one, for example), but the core design should remain the same. Completely overhauling your logo is sometimes a bad idea from a branding perspective.

Also, I appreciate that Sony hasn't changed the names of its consoles. Nice, simple, straightforward, easy for parents and gamers to follow. "Hmm, which PlayStation should I buy for Little Jimmy? I see there's a PlayStation 15 in stock, but there's also a 16. 16 is the higher number so it's probably the newer one."

Easy.

Microsoft, on the other hand... Xbox One, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox Series X (but it's not actually Xbox Series X, it's just Xbox, because Xbox Series X is the term for a series of Xboxes which presumably won't be called Xbox because there's already going to be an Xbox). WTF? How is anybody, much less a non-gaming-savvy parent (or just a new gamer), supposed to keep track of all that nonsense?

Reactions: captaincranky

JimboJoneson

TS Booster
... Sony has literally used this type of 'style' (maybe not the exact same font/creation but close) since the PS2.
Exactly the whole point ... we're making fun of the fact that Sony, at a major trade show, tried to make the highlight of their presentation around unveiling thier "NEW" logo (their words, not mine) for the PS5 - everyone expected it to be the same except with a 5, but Sony announced a NEW one and had an "unveiling" at CES.

... everyone watching on at the CES show waited with bated breath to see ... the SAME LOGO except the 4 is a 5. It wasn't new - that is the joke. Not that it IS same, but they announced it and made a big hoopla about it being NEW.

This is literally what was funny. How 25% of people entirely missed the whole context of the article is mind boggling to me.

Last edited:

captaincranky

TechSpot Addict
Exactly the whole point ... we're making fun of the fact that Sony, at a major trade show, tried to make the highlight of their presentation around unveiling thier "NEW" logo (their words, not mine) for the PS5

... everyone watching on at the CES show waited with bated breath to see ... the SAME LOGO except the 4 is a 5. It wasn't new - that is the joke. Not that it IS same, but they announced it and made a big hoopla about it being NEW.

This is literally what was funny. How 25% of people entirely missed the whole context of the article is mind boggling to me.
So? You missed my joke about the Honda logo "putting on some weight in its middle age". Hell, I even posted a picture.

Besides, maybe they were spoofing the audience. Look at all the press they got for doing basically nothing.

Elon Musk does that sh!t all the time. One time he did an interview where he speculated, "we might be living in a computer simulation". What in god's name brought that on? Did he stay up the prior weekend and binge watch the entire " Matrix" series?

Last edited:

JimboJoneson

TS Booster
So? You missed my joke about the Honda logo "putting on some weight in its middle age". Hell, I even posted a picture.
Did I miss it? What was your evaluation method for that?

Besides, maybe they were spoofing the audience. Look at all the press they got for doing basically nothing.
So it IS funny? ... Or not? Whether intentional or not it was funny as hell. That's the point - it was funny. And you see so many people here either not reading the article, not understanding the context of what actually was funny, then acting like they're some "moral justice warrior" condemning everyone who participated in expressing a healthy sense of humour.

Its sad.