Sony rumored to be lowering PS5 price following Xbox Series X reveal

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: Now that Microsoft has finally revealed the all-important price and release date of its next-gen consoles, we’re waiting for Sony to do the same. According to a new rumor, the Japanese firm is responding to the Xbox Series X/S unveiling by dropping the price of its PS5 machines.

It’s long been rumored that the price of the PS5 has been a sticking point for Sony, with the expensive components pushing the MSRP higher and higher—one analyst claimed it would be $100 more than the Xbox Series X. It had even been reported that the expense could lead to Sony limiting the console’s initial production run.

Backing up some of those claims is Gamereactor, whose anonymous source says the PS5 was “considerably” more expensive than Microsoft’s rival machine.

Check out: Xbox Series S vs Series X spec-by-spec comparison

With the Xbox Series X/S prices now unveiled, Sony has reportedly decided to cut the cost of both its machines. The discless PS5 could now arrive at $399, which is still more than the $299 all-digital Xbox Series S, while the standard version of the console will be $499, the same as the Xbox Series X.

“Anonymous sources” are far from reliable, so this should all be taken with a massive grain of salt, but tech firms altering the price of unreleased products based on the competition is nothing new.

We know the Xbox Series X has the PS5 beat when it comes to raw power, but Sony has lauded its custom SSD, which can shift compressed data at a maximum of 9 GB/s and 5.5 GB/s once decompressed, as truly special.

Specs alone don’t sell a console, of course—factors such as exclusive titles play a big part. According to a recent survey, 84% of gamers are more excited about the PS5 than the Xbox Series X. How much the price affects people’s opinions remains to be seen.

Permalink to story.

One thing I noticed this gen was that prices for consoles didn't drop that much over time. In the UK launch price of the PS4 was £350 but today it's still £250 at retail. While if you look at the price of the PS2/PS3 by the end of the generation you could buy them for £120.

So even if the PS5 is sold for a loss for a bit, they'll just not drop the price as much over it's life cycle.

Console pricing is tricky... it used to be that companies could sell them at a loss and recoup from the game/peripheral sales... but that doesn't seem to fly any more.

Still, that prices are able to shift at all - and $100 on a $500 item is substantial - shows that perhaps they CAN afford to sell them at a loss - or at least, initially... once manufacturing gets into full gear, manufacturing costs come down and they can simply keep the price static.

Doesn't matter how much consoles cost, I just look on them as a waste money that just sit there, under the TV, gathering dust for months, in-between a few big game releases over their lifetime. Even more so if you don't bother with the multiplayer side of things.

With internet convinced for months now, that Xbox Series X is considerably more powerful, they could have a hard time with selling PS5 at 499$. "Strongest console on market" sounds much better than "fastest SSD technology".

But in the end, exclusive games should decide the winner. I'd love to jump in for this console generation, as I skipped the PS4 and Xbox One, but with my love for Souls games, I'm almost sure I'll be getting a PS5 for Demon's Souls and Bloodborne backward compatibility. And as I'll be upgrading my PC next year, I'll be able to play big Xbox games anyways - e.g. Avoved could fill the void of not having any new TES games.

Doesn't matter how much consoles cost, I just look on them as a waste money that just sit there, under the TV, gathering dust for months, in-between a few big game releases over their lifetime. Even more so if you don't bother with the multiplayer side of things.

If you don't care then what the hell are you doing here? Just because you don't like it you want people to not like consoles either?

One thing I noticed this gen was that prices for consoles didn't drop that much over time. In the UK launch price of the PS4 was £350 but today it's still £250 at retail. While if you look at the price of the PS2/PS3 by the end of the generation you could buy them for £120.

So even if the PS5 is sold for a loss for a bit, they'll just not drop the price as much over it's life cycle.

When you add a hard drive, the minimum retail price is now $50 higher. That is why the 360 generation nixed the hard driver on Arcade models. You can't get game level streaming today without that hard drive, so they're gone for the PS4 generation.

Also, with PS4, Sony decided they didn't want to lose 7 Billion dollars like the PS3.

With this generation, the cost of adding cutting-edge GDDR6 plus m.2 SSD plus the largest APUs ever built is adding an additional $100-200 to the build cost. The lowest price you should expect for this new generation (with disc drive, fully-enabled PS5) is $350, but that's going to take a die shrink on the APU and the SSD controller, and a mainstream doubling of density for the GDDR6 memory .

That custom ssd controller seems to be bad investment now.
Sony should simply use third party pcie 4 ssd controllers

I just wait to revision V2 with bigger drive 2 or 3 games maybe extra controller for slight discount - anyway waiting for price of 4k OLEDS to drop in NZ by a K

I barely use my PS4 Pro, and there hasn't really been anything that caught my eye that's coming out within the next 6-12 months that says it's worth a new console purchase. My money is going towards solid 1440/4K gaming with a 3080 for sure.

As someone who has been a PC gamer exclusively, never owned a console, PC "master race" elitists are so fn retarded. Like it matters the hardware you run your games on.

Why do you think this?

Because Xbox is more powerful and unless you really care about Sony exclusives you will get better looking games on the Xbox for the same price? Because on the Xbox Series X you will be able to play games from original Xbox through Xbox One, because for $35 a month for 2 years you can get the Xbox Series X, Xbox Live Gold, Game Pass Ultimate and the X cloud, like these is a lot more value here

Because Xbox is more powerful and unless you really care about Sony exclusives you will get better looking games on the Xbox for the same price? Because on the Xbox Series X you will be able to play games from original Xbox through Xbox One, because for $35 a month for 2 years you can get the Xbox Series X, Xbox Live Gold, Game Pass Ultimate and the X cloud, like these is a lot more value here

$35/m for 2 years is a sucker deal. Sounds like they got you.

Also, this new xbox will have the same backwards compatibility list as the xbox one. Not every game from each gen.

$35/m for 2 years is a sucker deal. Sounds like they got you.

Also, this new xbox will have the same backwards compatibility list as the xbox one. Not every game from each gen.

Its not a bad deal at all and I do 95% of my gaming on a PC so no they didn't get me, I will probably get an XSX and buy my games for it ;)

Its not a bad deal at all and I do 95% of my gaming on a PC so no they didn't get me, I will probably get an XSX and buy my games for it ;)

Its a terrible “deal” ($840 over 2yrs)

Last summer I bought 3 years of live for $39/yr then paid $1 to convert it all to gamepass ultimate. Now THAT is a deal.

Back