Sony teases 'Freestyle Hybrid PC' tablet, ultra-thin laptop

Jos

Staff

The upcoming S1 and S2 Android tablets aren't the only new devices that Sony is working on. Apparently during yesterday's presentation, there were a couple of Vaio systems that slipped under the radar, perhaps because the company provided very little details about them. But here's what know: it includes a new ultra-thin notebook and a "Freestyle Hybrid PC" that switches between tablet laptop modes.

The latter sports a similar form factor to Samsung's Sliding PC 7 Series and the ASUS Eee Pad Slider. It's believed to be the rumored Sony Vaio Slider that surfaced a couple of months ago, which will reportedly feature a 9.4-inch display, an Intel Pine Trail class Atom processor and Windows 7 as the operating system of choice. There's no word on pricing or availability yet but going by previous rumors it could start shipping this fall starting at $800.

As for the "Ultra Mobile PC" it is said to pack a 13.3-inch display and Atom processor into a slim body sporting the Vaio's traditional sharp lines and monochrome color scheme -- but that's about it as far as details go. Akihabara News notes both systems are "scheduled to come anytime soon" so we expect to hear more in the next few weeks.

Permalink to story.

Thanks @ChrisG683, fixed.

Weren't this "Hybrid PCs" released almost 10 years ago as "Tablet PCs" and failed miserably?

marioestrada said:

Weren't this "Hybrid PCs" released almost 10 years ago as "Tablet PCs" and failed miserably?

Yes, but tablets are cool now!

Actually I have no idea.

marioestrada said:

I know you help put this site together, but you're seriously trolling in the wrong place.

Wasn't the iPhone released 13 years ago as the "Newton" but failed miserably? No, THAT was ahead of it's time.

But the early tablets were failures until Apple invented them again? Four legs good, two legs bad?

Just repeat this to yourself: " I like Apple products because of their UI and the OS, and I like the integration between its products. What other people say about my computers does not affect me in any one bit, because I am happy with what Apple provides for me, and my self esteem is not tied to any material object that I own, or don't own. "

This looks like an update to the very old small Vaio UX they released years ago.
060517_UX50.jpg

I'll never buy a product made by this company again. The Samsung series 9 lappies are the way to go

@gwailo247, Mario does prefer Apple devices but I must second him, that Hybrid PC looks like a UX rehash. Last thing I remember the device was really nice, but the form factor didn't really suit anyone. Oh well, maybe with Android it will do better.

Boy the tablet craze! I guess if your phone isn't good enough, yet your laptop is just too big then they are great. But I just can't justify spending 800 dollars on something like this, it's an internet machine with a touchscreen. Especially when there are laptops with discrete graphics solutions and quad core processors for 620 dollars like this: [link]

Why would I buy this? It will just get hacked and I won't be able to use online for 2 weeks...

Hmmm... Think you lost a customer?

@Ontopic, I probably wouldn't buy this because of the price... if it was like $300 I might then but I don't really like tablets that much so...yeah...

Apple really got it when they priced the first iPad at $500 for the Wi-Fi only version. One year later and most competitors can't beat that price point. Like netbooks before tablets, if they don't come too expensive, you can more easily justify the price as a secondary or tertiary machine.

@gwailo247 I don't consider myself a troll, my comment was made because there still haven't been any successful tablets on the market other than the iPad and they are going back to a form-factor that no one really seemed to like or get used to.

I love most Apple products because they've been thought through and most of the hype is usually accompanied by a great product. I actually would like some other companies and OSs to succeed on the mobile/tablet market, I think the current proliferation of Android UIs is hurtful for the platform and there's some work being done to remedy it. webOS is the only other OS that I really find has a chance because of it capabilities, because sadly RIM has a bad record on OS development and the PlayBook has had horrible reviews, I've used a Blackberry phone for almost 3 years and I don't see them going in the right direction fast enough.

Back