Sony to release 1 TB PlayStation 4 next month

Scorpus

Staff member

Sony has followed in Microsoft's footsteps, today announcing a new PlayStation 4 model that comes with a 1 TB hard drive, giving gamers twice the in-built storage capacity of the existing 500 GB model.

While this new model is mostly about the increased storage space, Sony also states that this new console is 10 percent lighter than the 500 GB variant, and consumes eight percent less power during operation. The hard drive cover is also now matte rather than shiny, giving the system "a more casual look".

At this stage it's not clear if the weight, power consumption and matte finish improvements will also come to the 500 GB model, although some rumors have suggested this will be the case.

There is currently no word on how much the 1 TB PlayStation 4 will cost, with Sony saying that pricing information will be provided through local retailers. The current 500 GB PlayStation 4 model retails for $399 in the Untied States, so unless there's a surprise price drop, expect the new model to cost a little bit more.

Sony has revealed that the console will go on sale before the end of this month in Japan, on July 15th in Europe, and sometime in July for North Americans. It will be available in both jet black and glacier white.

Permalink to story.

An upgrade in storage, meh. What all these things need is decent hardware specs first, not archaic AMD scrapbin stuff.

Sony, please upgrade the Controllers with better batteries! And sell the upgraded "Battery Packs" so existing controllers can be upgraded :)

I can dream can't I?

Still not much space.
I have a 500GB X1 and a few games have already taken up 100GB, plus it only had a like 350GB usable when I first got it.
1TB is 931GB free and even less usable after the OS/junkware is installed.

Some comparative examples:
Angry Birds: Star Wars – 1.5GB
Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag – 21.2GB
Battlefield 4 – 33.9GB
Blacklight: Retribution – 4.9GB
Call of Duty: Ghosts – 31.3GB
Contrast – 2.3GB
DC Universe Online – 22.7GB
FIFA 14 – 9GB
Flower – 1.8GB
Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition – 22GB
Just Dance 2014 – 22GB
Killzone: Shadow Fall – 38.5GB
Knack – 35.6GB
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes – 6.4GB
Madden NFL 25 – 13.1GB
NBA 2K14 – 41.8GB
Need for Speed: Rivals – 15.9GB
Resogun – 460.8MB
Sound Shapes – 3.4GB
Super Motherload – 393.6MB
Trine 2: Complete Story – 2.6GB
Warframe – 4.2GB

Sony needs to make this the standard console and do away with the 500GB model, that's just not enough space, and really never was when you factor in the 8 or so year life expectancy of the thing.

"The hard drive cover is also now matte rather than shiny, giving the system "a more casual look"."

I didn't think the PS4 could be any more casual looking.

An upgrade in storage, meh. What all these things need is decent hardware specs first, not archaic AMD scrapbin stuff.

Which would significantly increase their price, putting them smack in the middle the economic no man's land of being less capable than a performance PC and more expensive than a mid-spec gaming rig, with none of the flexibility.

Sony, please upgrade the Controllers with better batteries! And sell the upgraded "Battery Packs" so existing controllers can be upgraded :)

I can dream can't I?

I must have the one Dualshock 4 in existence with acceptable battery life.

Does it support 4K ? I have a PS3 and will get the PS4 only if it supports 4K (Some what future proof I guess)

Does it support 4K ? I have a PS3 and will get the PS4 only if it supports 4K (Some what future proof I guess)

If you are talking about gaming then the 'next gen' seem barely capable of pushing stuff out at 1080 so 4k is going to go well, but for movies etc. then there is talk about the firmware being capable of upgrades to support 4k but don't hold your breath.

See this link for more details:
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/198751-will-the-ps4-and-xbox-one-receive-4k-support-this-year

If I was you I'd stick with the PS3 for now. With the exception of Bloodborne nothing on my PS4 has really seemed much different to my PS3. It certainly isnt the step-change that previous console generations have produced.

"The hard drive cover is also now matte rather than shiny, giving the system "a more casual look"."

Which would significantly increase their price, putting them smack in the middle the economic no man's land of being less capable than a performance PC and more expensive than a mid-spec gaming rig, with none of the flexibility.

I can dream can't I?

You must be because I occasionally go through my battery power every two to three days.

If you're looking to play the next wave of games I'd recommend upgrading to PS4, but at a cheaper price point if you can get them. Many games are starting to become next-generation exclusive.

None of the consoles support 4K gaming. I doubt even at peak optimization devs will be able to squeeze 4K out of the current machines. Consoles are the last technology anyone should be looking at with regard to the "future."

However, 4k video output for media is said to be in the pipeline.

You must be because I occasionally go through my battery power every two to three days.

Indeed, Hell even a few days is pretty good going! If I play for a good 8 hours (decent weekend Destiny session) The controller will always die mid game, and I have two controllers, both are just as bad. Compared to the PS3 controllers they are rubbish for battery life.

It's all about making as much money as possible. They could use better hardware and still charge the same but they won't make as much of a profit. That's how all businesses work.

It's all about making as much money as possible. They could use better hardware and still charge the same but they won't make as much of a profit. That's how all businesses work.

They can't, actually: http://ps4daily.com/2013/11/playstation-4-cost-to-build/

I'd assume the profit margin is a bit more than $18 before marketing etc. because of supplier deals, but they can't put significantly better hardware in the PS4 without taking an equally significant hit where it counts.

This is why I have been dubious over the continued existence of consoles. To position them against PCs they will eventually need to be sold at a loss, depending on an overall net profit from software & services to make them worth the investment. Given the problems AAA dev has being experiencing in recent years, that's a high risk strategy that I don't expect to see employed, barring major changes in dev.

Back