Sony's answer to Chromecast revealed in updated FCC filing

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Sony is working on a Chromecast-style TV dongle of its own. Known only by model number NSZ-GU1, the device surfaced in an FCC filing earlier this month that was recently updated with more information and photos.

Specifications include a low power Marvell DE3108 SoC, 8GB of flash memory and 1GB of RAM. The device sports an HDMI pass through and an IR blaster but it appears to be limited to 720p video output. Diagrams of the remote control reveal it looks similar to the one included with the Sony NSZ-GS7 and GS8.

sony chromecast-style google google tv chromecast dongle

A brief instruction manual included in the filing notes the dongle will receive power from a television’s USB connection, meaning it won’t need an extra cable like Chromecast. One of the diagrams in the filing shows it plugged into the side of a television much like Chromecast or Roku’s Streaming Stick.

It’s unclear at this time whether or not the dongle will behave similarly to Chromecast or if it will mirror the standard Google TV experience. At least one publication believes the Sony dongle will be similar to Chromecast but with Google TV features.

sony chromecast-style google google tv chromecast dongle

Unfortunately that’s all we have to go on for now as no release date or finalized hardware specs have been published. It’s entirely possible, however, that we could see the dongle show up at next week’s IFA trade show in Berlin. Either way, it’ll be interesting to see if Sony can produce something as useful (and more importantly, as inexpensive) as Chromecast to bolster smart televisions.

Permalink to story.

A brief instruction manual included in the filing notes the dongle will receive power from a television’s USB connection, meaning it won’t need an extra cable like Chromecast.
If the device is powered by USB it WILL need an extra cable... like Chromecast.

I just want one with remote control, I don't want to depend on having an smartphone at hand for watch tv.

It will be interesting to see how Sony prices this device. The features are important too, but in spite of that, they always seem to over price everything.

[Rant]
I still wonder why all the initial Google TVs were 199.99 plus. Makes me wonder if Google was charging for the Google TV OS. The hardware could have been what they are putting into these small devices.

IR blaster is nice, but placement... More RF controllers... Bluetooth better... so yeah, better for interaction and batteries still last pretty long. My PS3 remote 5.75 years and still going strong.
[/Rant]

Price, Price, and Price is the Key here. Nothing over 50 Sony, if you can do that, maybe some sales.

Back