Sound issue "could not start the Windows Audio service"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody. I have a difficult but interesting problem. A few days ago after a system crash I lost all sound, the volume control was gone and error saying no mixer is preset would appear every time I tryed to play a sound. Onboard sound is turned on in BIOS, in device manager it displayed as woking properly. I reinstaled the drivers, and uninstalled the onboard sound from hardware manager, and manualy reinstalled it, none of it did anything. In control panel> Sounds and Audio devices is sais " no audio device", but in Winamp or Ventrilo I went into the options and is output device it was set to some defalt generic item, I changed it back to my onboard sound and now winamp play mp3s just fine, as well as ventrillo.
So this is not a driver or hardware problem, this is a windows problem.

I have researched it quite a bit and found a few poeple with exactly the same problem. It apears that Windows Audio service is dissplayed as "stopped" even tho it's set to Automatic. Alot of people were able to solve their problem by simply clicking the start service button and it all worked fine onse again. How ever few (I'm one of these guys) the service would not start, instead we get this error

"could not start the Windows Audio service on local computer. Error 126: The specified module could not be found"

now, ever forum post I saw actuly get this close to solving the problem, either just died or gave up.

I have a back up windows XP on my comp which does nto have this problem, and I have a windows XP CD, so if any particula files needs to be expaned from the CD into my windows to get this fix I can do that, or even just copy them from my other windows, all I need to figure out what are the files I need.

lol lets see if anyone is up to the task and can finaly crack this problem.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Try doing a Windows repair, as per this thread HERE. Hopefully it will solve your problem.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Fixed by copying audiosrv.dll

Had the same problem. audiosrv.dll was missing from the windows/system32 directory. Fixed it by copying audiosrv.dll from windows/servicepackfiles to windows/system32

hope that fixes it for you.

grindlesmutter said:
Had the same problem. audiosrv.dll was missing from the windows/system32 directory. Fixed it by copying audiosrv.dll from windows/servicepackfiles to windows/system32

hope that fixes it for you.

OMG Thanx! It worked :D, I knew there was no need for Windows Repair, thanks a bunch for help!

I have this problem now too! I have to go into admin services from the control panel every time I start my computer and then start the windows audio! Even though it is set to automatic! Can someone please provide me with step - by - step instructions on how to copy the audiosrv.dll from windows/servicepackfiles to windows/system32. I really would like to resolve this issue.... THANK YOU!!! John

I just performed a serch for the audiosrv.dll file on my computer and the search results show the file in both the windows/system 32 and the windows servicepackfiles! Does this mean that the fix posted above will not resolve my issue? Or should I try and copy the file to the system/32 directory anyway? Don't forget I need instructions on how the copy the file. Thanks again....

sounds like (no pun intended ;) ) you're missing a required system file. You should first attempt running System File Checker so Windows can look for/replace any missing or corrupt system files.

For XP, Start->Run, enter cmd. In the command prompt window enter sfc /scannow

For Vista, you need open an elevated command prompt window and then enter the same command

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back