Speaker got dropped, now it gets no power

It's some computer speakers my boss gave me. They got dropped, or in some way physically abused. Go figure. Her computer has no built in speakers, so they're the only way for her to make sound. I checked it with headphones and the computer works fine. The LED won't light up when I hit the power button. I looked for a bad connection but found nothing of the sort. It simply won't turn on. The power button itself is loose, it looked like it was just glued to the board. I tried holding it in place with my hand and pushing it down, still no luck. Any advice?

Some electrical component either broke or got dislodged when the speakers fell. If you don't know about that kind of stuff and aren't prepared to spend hours Googling and slowly disassembling the speaker.. you're probably out of luck.

That's the first thing I looked for. Might something be messed up and look perfectly fine?

Other than desoldering the pcb, theres nothing left to disassemble.

The actual buttons are just pieces of plastic that push against a certain part on the pcb to send a signal to the logic chip. Is there supposed to be maybe a metal sheet or something more to it? It seems weird that plastic would be sufficient to create a signal...

There's a metal switch behind or under those plastic parts. If the switch is broken, you would have to replace it but it might not be worth the effort.

The button makes contact with the pcb directly instead of opening and closing the circuit itself, so I thought the aluminum tape might act as a metal plate.

If it's powered by a wall wart, check for proper voltage at the output plug (or use tongue test). If the wall wart is good, (or if it has a regular 110VAC plug) it's probably fried the power board inside, and not worth saving.

Back