Speedfan doesn't work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

megabomination

Im trying to figure out why my fan speeds arent dropping when the % drops right down to 10% on the 'main' tab of this program. I have all the fans correctly identified and configured but i cant lower my fan speeds manually or using the 'automatic fan speed' option? Any help appreciated.

Thanks. Asrock 775i65G mobo, Pentium 4 524 3.06GHz, 2GB DDR 400MHz RAM. My OS is MSWindows XP sp3. I read something in the tutorial about 'frontside bus' and 'southbridge' but im afraid that is beyond me. I would like to know regardless of this program possibly not being able to work why my fans would be running flatout constantly even when the temps are low?

When you say "all my fans" are you talking about the CPU fan only, or the case fans too? There are settings in the bios of some motherboards, that can control fan speed. These settings may be in the Hardware Monitor in the bios

It doesnt look like i can change anything in BIOS so i may be stuck with the high fan speeds. Would this indicate that the fans are faulty or possibly the temp sensors? Im still trying to figure out why they spinning so fast? Would reinstalling windows fix this?

I've had fan control problems with SpeedFan for a long time now. It has not worked correctly with my present or last mobo, namely the ASUS M4A78T-E or the ASUS P5B-MX Wi-Fi AP. However, when I had a Compaq Presario desktop with the ASUS PTGD1-LA motherboard, the program was able to control all fans in the system perfectly.

I don't think I have ever got speed fan to correctly change the fan speeds on any of my computers. In fact my current computer refuses to boot correctly with speed fan installed :p. Hangs at the windows loading screen.

Thanks all for your input. It looks as though im stuck with noisey fans? Would updating mobo drivers help or should i get new fans do you think?

Are these noisy fans the ones that came with your case, or did you buy them separately? Look for the lowest db rating, and not too high of RPM rating and quality ball bearing construction on any new fan you buy. If the motherboard has 3-pin fan headers, use 3-wire replacement fans. The larger fan, the better. Some quality fans move a lot of air, virtually noise free

Thanks. I just found in my mobo manual that the fourth pin on the cpu fan header cntrls fan speed and yes, the cheap *** fan i purchased some time ago is only a three pin connector!! As for the case fan it came with the case and is a cheapy as well!

Does your existing CPU heatsink/fan have 4 wires? if it does, you CAN control its speed in the bios hardware monitor section. I have 3 fans in my computer. Two 120mm case fans. One in the front and one in the back of the computer. The CPU fan has 4 wires and it is on a ZeroTherm Nirvana CPU cooler

No its a three wire so ill have to invest in a quality CPU fan with the four wire setup. Any suggestions for a good quality/quiet CPU and case fan?

Ok. I've recently discovered something. In order for SpeedFan to control fan speeds you need to:

Start up SpeedFan -> Configure -> Advanced -> Select your motherboard chipset -> Select PWM 1 / PWM 2 -> Set to Software Controlled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back