Spyware programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyellis

AntiSpyware programs

I recently went through the revised 8 steps and I have an anti-spyware question.

I installed SUPER-Antispyware and Malwarebytes as suggested in the procedure.

Older versions of the 8 steps used to recommend Ad-Aware and Spybot, which I still have. Can someone please clarify what aaservice.exe is doing? Is it "real-time" protection? If so I will stick with Ad-Aware I guess, since SUPER AS does not offer real-time protection in the free version.

But if aaservice.exe is not doing anything to protect me unless I actively run a scan, I will just go ahead and stop that service, since the 2 new programs can do the same thing. Plus I still have Spybot's resident program (tea timer) always running and blocking registry changes until I allow them.

So should I keep Ad-Aware's aaservice.exe running at startup?

If AAW is not running real-time protection, are there any good anti-spyware programs that do run real-time protection in the free version, unlike SAS?

Thanks. :)

Am I asking this in the wrong place? If so, could someone please move it to the correct forum for me? Thanks.

Spybot has it, as does winpatrol.

Bit out of touch with them all now as I don't use anything.

Thanks kritius.

I have disabled Ad-Aware, but I just feel so naked without it.

I wish I knew why the recomendations changes from Spybot and Ad-Aware to SUPER Antispyware and Malwarebytes :confused: but I assume there were good reasons.

SAS (SuperantiSpyware) has some extra inclusions and generally picks up more than Spybot. Also SAS picks p what Ad-aware picks up so it generally does the same job. Its nothing to drastic.

Malwarebytes i think was added as more of the Malware side and also the increased detections of Xp Antivirus (2008/09) which Malwarebytes is very good at getting rid of.

Overall not to many changes so you actually get better protection from the new programs than the old.

Due to this if you have SAS then i would uninstall ad-aware as its slower than SAS and wont give you as much. Plus it has Tea Timer...but that's not so great :D

Thanks rev_olie. That is pretty much what I was looking for.

Ad-Aware is definitely slower and slower with each new update, so getting rid of it will not be a problem for me if SuperAS is doing the same job more or less. I will probably keep Spybot for now because it does seem to do a good job at blocking registry changes without express consent, which I like. But if anyone knows of any problems using SAS, MAB and Spybot together, please post a note here. Thanks!

And apologies if my abbreviation of Super Anti Spyware to the acronym "SAS" threw anyone off. My stats questions I post elsewhere. :D

And apologies if my abbreviation of Super Anti Spyware to the acronym "SAS" threw anyone of
Ha-ha most people do so no worries i think from most people

But if anyone knows of any problems using SAS, MAB and Spybot together
There is no problems with using them together as far as I'm aware other than Spy-bot blocking some actions of the other 2 for a while.
Also do you possibly mean MAM instead of MAB...which I'm pretty sure was a band...or an ice lolly :stickout:

do you possibly mean MAM instead of MAB
Oops - I meant MBAM (install file is "mbam-setup.exe"), which I am guessing stands for MalwareBytes AntiMalware. I knew there was an "m" and a "b" and and "a" in there, but I forgot the second "m" and messed up the letter ordering. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back