SSD prices continue to fall

midian182

Staff member
The big picture: It appears that graphics cards aren’t the only PC component experiencing a price fall right now. Solid-state drives are also getting cheaper, as manufacturers continue to reduce the price of popular and lesser-known models.

Tom’s Hardware notes the OEM Micron 1100 as an example of an SSD with a volatile price, one that seems to rise and fall every day. The publication writes that it found the 2TB version selling for just $200 on several occasions—a result of Micron trying to sell off its 1st-gen 3D flash models to make room for the newer 64-layer memory SSDs. A quick Amazon search showed the 1100 on sale for $280, which is still a good deal for 2TB.

Other, more mainstream SSDs have also seen price decreases. The 500GB versions of the Crucial MX500 and Samsung 860 EVO have fallen sharply over the last six months. The former SSD is now available on Amazon for $110, while Samsung’s model can be bought for just $127.

According to DRAMeXchange, one of the main factors behind the falling price of SSDs is an oversupply in the NAND flash market.

NVMe SSDs haven’t experienced quite as much of a decrease, but their prices are going down and moving closer to those of SATA III SSDs. DRAMeXchange said the average contract price of PCIe products “is still about 10 percent higher compared with that of the SATA III products during Q2 2018.”

With the Steam Summer Sale starting next week (June 21), now is probably a good time to buy an SSD for all those new games you won’t get round to playing.

Permalink to story.

1600+ dollars for a 4TB 860 Pro, 1100+ for an equally capacious EVO subsidizes a lot of lower capacity product.

I recently paid 12$ for the full Daedalic Humble Bundle pack and it's been a blast playing Deponia so far, although I don't really have enough time to play it as much as I want :(
I recommend it for those that like adventure games (it's still available for another week).

What's weird is that HB didn't have this year a special bundle for E3.

Still they are higher than I expected. There is no competitiveness. Samsung is making everything and no one is even trying.

Gpu prices are still not on the fall, no matter how many times you quote the article wishing for it.

They haven't fallen enough. Finding a 1tb ssd for 200 or less is still tough. I've seen a couple sales, but 200 for a single tb is still overpriced imho.

I guess the hard drives are made from the metal that felt under the new taxe between the US and Canada because I cannot find a single SSD over 1tb under 300$ here in Canada....

The Crucial MX500 is $110 for 500GB, 22¢/GB, which makes it less expensive than most of the cheap generic brands. I have bought several of the cheap brands, and they were all disappointing compared to my Samsung 850 Pro. By all accounts, the MX500 performs as well as premium brands like Samsung, and yet the generic budget models still have a higher price, so drives like these will eventually bring down prices across the board. With 3D NAND getting more layers, and the increased competition, we'll be down to 10¢/GB in the next year or so, closing in on traditional hard drives, which are around 3¢/GB. At some point, they'll stop making spinning hard drives altogether.

Still they are higher than I expected. There is no competitiveness. Samsung is making everything and no one is even trying.
What? Crucial competes with samsung on the SATA front, wiht 2.5" drives that are both faster and cheaper for the capacity. Corsair and WD both have NVMe SSDs that are catching up to Samsung on the uber fast front.

Yes, samsung had a head start, but there is hardly "no competition", especially for anything that isnt cutting edge.

What? Crucial competes with samsung on the SATA front, wiht 2.5" drives that are both faster and cheaper for the capacity. Corsair and WD both have NVMe SSDs that are catching up to Samsung on the uber fast front.

Yes, samsung had a head start, but there is hardly "no competition", especially for anything that isnt cutting edge.
I agree, but every single review out there has the same conclusion - if you want the best get Samsung.

I guess the hard drives are made from the metal that felt under the new taxe between the US and Canada because I cannot find a single SSD over 1tb under 300$ here in Canada....
I can't speak to Canada's take on the situation, but The US government has long accused China of devaluing their currency to promote a trade deficit favoring the Chinese.

Americans have long been accustomed to buying Chinese goods at fire sale p[rices.

Americans have long complained in favor of Chinese workers being given higher wages.

But Americans are so blatantly stupid, they they still cherish the belief that when Chinese workers make more money, the price of Chinese goods will remain the same.

So, when confronted as to why American products are so highly priced, the first thing which comes out of their mouth is because "we're fairly paid". Yet being compensated thus, renders America unable to successfully compete in certain markets of a global economy.

So, suck it up ladies, stuff is gonna cost your more, and it will only get worse from here on out.

And all that "save American jobs, buy American", propaganda needs to have a parenthetic notation attached, "and have a lot less in the process".

BTW, what did anyone think would happen if Clinton was elected, then raised the minimum wage to $15.00 an hour with free college for everybody? Oh right, that prices and taxes were going to go down.:D

Last edited:

Perhaps so. But, where Samsung's product is well worth the extra few dollars, is with their amazing and free migration software. It is fool proof, bordering on imbecile proof.

Other low price brands either don't include such software, or make you jump through hoops to get it. Which is fine if you're willing to do a clean install. But, in my case, I do all the program removal and installs I intend to do on the existing HDD, migrate the system, and keep the HDD as a "system restore image".

Granted, WD"s new pci-e drives compete head on with Samsung's offerings, but there's still a lot of their old stock out there, and you need to exercise caution when you see that "big sale" header.

The new Acronis written version of WD migration software won't work with XP. But, perhaps expecting it would, was a bit naive. I couldn't find a download of the older, XP compatible version on WD's site. You'd think they'd keep it available, if only to humor Luddite extremists such as myself.:D

Perhaps so. But, where Samsung's product is well worth the extra few dollars, is with their amazing and free migration software. It is fool proof, bordering on imbecile proof.

Other low price brands either don't include such software, or make you jump through hoops to get it. Which is fine if you're willing to do a clean install. But, in my case, I do all the program removal and installs I intend to do on the existing HDD, migrate the system, and keep the HDD as a "system restore image".

Granted, WD"s new pci-e drives compete head on with Samsung's offerings, but there's still a lot of their old stock out there, and you need to exercise caution when you see that "big sale" header.

The new Acronis written version of WD migration software won't work with XP. But, perhaps expecting it would, was a bit naive. I couldn't find a download of the older, XP compatible version on WD's site. You'd think they'd keep it available, if only to humor Luddite extremists such as myself.:D

I was joking btw... Oh and I still pay my Samsung SSDs 50% more than the US. They are 99% Korean (assembled in China maybe) and one of the biggest chip maker on the planet. Not sure the US taxes has anything to do here, it's just our over taxing country at best.

I was joking btw... Oh and I still pay my Samsung SSDs 50% more than the US. They are 99% Korean (assembled in China maybe) and one of the biggest chip maker on the planet. Not sure the US taxes has anything to do here, it's just our over taxing country at best.
Yeah, you're right, Samsung is Korean, and they likely charge as much as think they can get away. My bad
Although, it is hard for me to imagine they wouldn't take advantage of a Chinese currency adjustment if it suited them.

Korean workers are becoming more affluent, and that falls under the scenario I was describing.

In fact South Korea was home to "Cort musical instruments", one of the largest subcontractors / OEM manufacturers of guitars in the world. It used to be based in Korea. Their factory workers raised hell about their low wages, and went on strike. Cort responded by basically saying "screw you", and moved to Indonesia..

However, electronics aren't the base cause of Canada's poor currency exchange rate at present. I believe it has to do with the price of oil, or the lack of a world market for Canadian oil at present. but I eagerly await your more familiar take on the issue.

Back