Star Citizen will let you purchase virtually every vessel in the game via a $27,000 ship...

Polycount

Staff
Facepalm: Despite raising nearly $200 million to date, Star Citizen developer Roberts Space Industries continues to sell ships, virtual plots of land and other intangible goods -- many of which cannot be accessed yet -- at exorbitant prices. The new $27,000 "Legatus Pack" is simply the most recent example of that trend.

It seems the $186 million Roberts Space Industries has earned to date for the development of Star Citizen isn't enough.

As reported by PC Gamer, the company has launched a new ship pack that will unlock virtually every space vessel in the game. If that sounds pretty good to you, there's a significant catch to be aware of: the "Legatus Pack" will run you about $27,000.

Although that may sound like a joke at first, it's quite the opposite. As previously mentioned, RSI has a history of selling ships at high prices. Indeed, many of the vessels currently available (or not available, as it were) cost well over $400.

Interestingly, it won't even be possible to view this new ship pack unless you've already shelled out $1,000 for Star Citizens' various virtual items.

If you're one of those individuals, also known as "concierges," you can view the Legatus Pack's full contents on its official store page. If you're merely a curious bystander, this forum thread has the same information.

As forum user Dakuisha points out, if you haven't spent $1,000 on the game but you'd still like to buy the Legatus Pack, you can try messaging Star Citizen's customer support team to see if they'll let you snag it.

Star Citizen still doesn't have a release date, but we may learn more about the game at E3 2018 in the coming weeks.

Permalink to story.

Psst. Hey, kid. Yah, you. C'mere!

Wanna spend enough money to buy a good car on a bunch of virtual items in a game that has been in development for 5+ years, is over 3 years past due for delivery, and hasn't even hit the official beta mark yet? Of course you do! Just sign here and give me your credit card info...

Oh, and now that I have your money, just to be clear, if you lose a ship, it's gone forever. And if we come out with cool new ships 3 days from now, you have to pony up extra for those. So long, sucker!

Captain Kirk: Beam me up, Scotty.

RSI: Cleaning you out, Captain.

Captain Kirk: What?! What happened to Scotty?!

RSI: Soon(TM).

Spock: It appears we've been swindled, Captain.

Psst. Hey, kid. Yah, you. C'mere!

Wanna spend enough money to buy a good car on a bunch of virtual items in a game that has been in development for 5+ years, is over 3 years past due for delivery, and hasn't even hit the official beta mark yet? Of course you do! Just sign here and give me your credit card info...

Oh, and now that I have your money, just to be clear, if you lose a ship, it's gone forever. And if we come out with cool new ships 3 days from now, you have to pony up extra for those. So long, sucker!

er..........games aren't made in a weekend dude, most new AAA games take at least 5 years, but usually more. also, if you lose your ship, it is replaced, what on earth are you talking about it being gone forever?

Um...........to be clear, you cannot 'purchase land'.......you purchase a land claim which only gives you UEE protection. most of the land available will not be under UEE control, hence, it will be available for anyone to build outposts on.

er..........games aren't made in a weekend dude, most new AAA games take at least 5 years, but usually more. also, if you lose your ship, it is replaced, what on earth are you talking about it being gone forever?
I get that AAA games take time, but by the time you're 6 years into the dev cycle there is normally at least something to show for it!

I actually backed Star Citizen years ago, just before the Squadron 42 fork. Every six months or so I reinstalled it, have a poke around and sit back stunned by how little is there (last time I think there were 2 space stations, and couple of star systems and I could fly around some empty canyons. Don't know if anything else has been added since then?)

Believe me, I know about game development cycles. And I actively support and participate in quite a few games during their development, through things like Kickstarter, Early Access, etc. So, even if what I said was a little tongue-in-cheek, it does not alter the fact that they have raked in a ton of money yet have missed their target date for release by almost 4 years (and counting), without even hitting an official beta stage yet.

As for the "gone forever" thing... If a ship that you got in this paid for package is lost or destroyed, you don't get a magical "do over" where it just appears again. You have to replace it somehow, and I do know there's an insurance system in the game, so that might not be an issue. Unless it's optional, and you didn't have it, in which case bye bye fancy ship (or lots of credits to buy another of the same one). Just like most other games that parallel the genre of this game. You don't get any special favors for the actual money you are spending, just having your hangars filled with shiny toys and then thrown out into the universe to fend for yourself. Heh.

Although, I have heard that when beta (and then actual release) comes around, you may get your paid for ships restored on launch. So at least there's that.

The real suckers here are the mindless, zombie players who actually buy them....after buying the main game.

Dev: Want to find out the release date?
RichGamer: Yesh!
Dev: Give us $10000
RichGamer: There you go!
Me: *Closes fist*

Um...........to be clear, you cannot 'purchase land'.......you purchase a land claim which only gives you UEE protection. most of the land available will not be under UEE control, hence, it will be available for anyone to build outposts on.
It's just semantics. It was never about whatever it is or whatever it was called. It's that you can pay for it.
And from the way you talk you believe that the game will come out in the next 2 years... pfff hahahahaha. let's be serious here. at the rate they are burning money they will not have enough to finish it and it seems like they need at least 5 more years. (it kinda destroys your "5 years" argument for AAA games too)

It's just semantics. It was never about whatever it is or whatever it was called. It's that you can pay for it.
And from the way you talk you believe that the game will come out in the next 2 years... pfff hahahahaha. let's be serious here. at the rate they are burning money they will not have enough to finish it and it seems like they need at least 5 more years. (it kinda destroys your "5 years" argument for AAA games too)
It's obvious our new member "Whackers", should have called dibs on, "Bonkers" as a screen name..
\
Maybe he's only out on a weekend pass from the insane asylum for the perennially dense, and his parents should enroll him in "Gamblers Anonymous" while he's out.

I assume since you "actually get" (???) these ships, the authorities can't come down on them as "gambling".

There's no crime involved with either throwing your money away, or pissing it up a wall either, as long as you don't physically destroy it, you're good to go.

So @wackers , get your checkbook ready, so you can be the first kid on your block to be swindled out of $27,000 in one shot, by the scam artists, (whoops, I meant "developers"), of "Star Citizen".

Although the way this phantasm of game is going, citizens of earth, are going to be the only life in the universe for eons to come..:D

This package has never been intended for individual but created by CIG on a specific org leader demand.

Divide 27K$ and you got 270$ per member for an an Org of 100. WOW cost same or even more per year buying subscription + extension + few mounts and skins. While those pledged 270$ are valid for yearS, for hundreds ships and variants and no monthly subscription fees.

As a sudden, the "drama" failed to be one and the "cult" is not worth if not less than any others MMO's around.

But so convenient for haters to skip basics math.

This package has never been intended for individual but created by CIG on a specific org leader demand.

Divide 27K$ and you got 270$ per member for an an Org of 100. WOW cost same or even more per year buying subscription + extension + few mounts and skins. While those pledged 270$ are valid for yearS, for hundreds ships and variants and no monthly subscription fees.

As a sudden, the "drama" failed to be one and the "cult" is not worth if not less than any others MMO's around.

But so convenient for haters to skip basics math.

I believe the main point that most people are making has flown right over your head. Sure, that math works out as not being too ridiculous if we're talking about sharing the cost between a clan of 100+ people in an established and running MMO. This is not a discussion about an established and running MMO, it's about a game in development that is well past due and always wanting more funding. Spending that kind of money now in a game that could very well be crap when it's finally (if ever) completed? That's the crazy part. It's not a discussion about basic math, it's about basic common sense.

I believe the main point that most people are making has flown right over your head. Sure, that math works out as not being too ridiculous if we're talking about sharing the cost between a clan of 100+ people in an established and running MMO. This is not a discussion about an established and running MMO, it's about a game in development that is well past due and always wanting more funding. Spending that kind of money now in a game that could very well be crap when it's finally (if ever) completed? That's the crazy part. It's not a discussion about basic math, it's about basic common sense.
I got it Vrmithrax. I understand some are talking only about spending 27K on a project or 270$ per head if we split costs. And doing so his crazy.
Fine. This is an opinion. But going that way means, all not CIG but all Crowdfunded are crazy.
I have backed 4 games through Kickstater. Around 30/40 $ for the equivalent of a starter package. Each of those projects have expensive package. And they have a fraction of SC scope. Check by yourself.

Take two of them:
- War of Rights: Most expensive= 5000$ ore more...
- Kingdom Come: Deliverance: Most expensive= 5000$ ore more…

Simple rule: Never participate to Crowdfunding, any of them, if you are not taking into account that final product could not match, partially or totally, yours expectations. I personnaly spend too much times 40 or 60$ per game since years to get crap in return. I bet that I and backers at large do not risk much to support guys like CR and his brother, to deliver this project.

Back