Star Citizen's total crowdfunding has surpassed $400 million

Polycount

Staff
In brief: Everybody's favorite love-to-hate space sim, Star Citizen, is still undergoing active, expensive development. Just last year, the game managed to hit $300 million in revenue from crowdfunding alone. You might expect that growth to slow, but it has continued to skyrocket. As of writing, the highly ambitious sim has raised an astonishing $404.7 million from ship and cosmetic sales, direct pledges, and more.

That's a massive sum for any game, let alone a mostly-crowdfunded project with total creative independence on the part of developer Cloud Imperium Games (CIG). Unfortunately, Star Citizen's tremendous financial success has also led to plenty of controversies for the studio.

Over the years, many players have accused the game of being a scam for failing to release despite 10 years of full production. Even those that enjoy the game will acknowledge that it's buggy and missing many features.

However, in spite of all the negativity, CIG continues to forge ahead on Star Citizen and publish regular development blogs and progress updates. The game also has a "progress tracker" roadmap, which seems to detail work allocation up until Q3 2023.

Just by taking one look at said roadmap, it's absolutely no surprise to me that the game has already taken 10 years to develop, without a clear end in sight. The sheer volume of features and the level of graphical and audio fidelity CIG is looking to implement boggles the mind. One feature, called "Salvage T0," is tentatively scheduled for release in Q2 2022 -- it seeks to let players strip and repair their ships by hand.

Another feature, confirmed for release this quarter, will overhaul the game's physics engine, and yet another will allow players to traverse their environment in zero-g using just their hands to push and pull themselves about.

Whether you believe CIG can actually deliver all of its promised features or not, it's clear that the studio is keen to keep working until the money runs out. Judging by the game's decade-long history, we don't expect that to happen anytime soon. As we've pointed out in the past, the studio is somehow able to sell ships and ship packs that easily cost hundreds of dollars. Indeed, the UEE Exploration 2950 "Package" comes in at $1,100 and is the only way to obtain the "Anvil Carrack" vessel.

Regardless, I am still rooting for the game to succeed. While I will not be buying it myself, and wouldn't necessarily advise others to do so, if CIG is able to achieve its dream, that can only be a good thing for consumers. Hopefully, it won't take another ten years, though.

If you'd like to see how far along the team is, there's some good news. Until December 1, you can try out Star Citizen for free as part of its latest "Free Fly" period. These events happen pretty often, so if you miss the boat this time, don't fret.

Permalink to story.

I've never played. My hope has been that the people who put in the $400mm did so because they've been enjoying the game as it is. If that's not true, I'd imagine the well is going to dry up eventually...

I know the learning curve for EVE is stupid high, but if you need your space sim fix there really isn't anything else out there that actually offers it. Fighting over territory, being chased through star systems or just exploring other systems, it's all there. People say EVE is boring and I can understand that. It took me 3 years of quitting and coming back before I actually learned how to play. The learning curve is ridiculous. 13 years later and I've been in some of those battles that make the news.

Star Citizen, while ambitious, still feels like it's 10 years away.

Why are you "rooting for the game success"? Do you want all games to become scams that never release a decent product before demanding more money like a bottomless pit?

What a terrible thing to publish.
How did you make the logical jump from "rooting" for one game to mean he's rooting for ALL games to follow the same type of development as this one? If you read the article, the author seems pretty clear that he's not too fond of this style of developing a game, but still hopes that this _specific_ game succeeds since so much money was poured into it.

How did you make the logical jump from "rooting" for one game to mean he's rooting for ALL games to follow the same type of development as this one? If you read the article, the author seems pretty clear that he's not too fond of this style of developing a game, but still hopes that this _specific_ game succeeds since so much money was poured into it.

It just rewards the model and it means it lives on. In fact this game is specifically responsible for I would guess *most* game related kickstarters. You can't have a cake and eat it: hoping it does well for the fools that gave money to them but hope it doesn't happens again because if it does well, it will. It already has happened many times over, just not to this large of a scale but most kickstarter campaigns are scams.

Sorry but anyone who invested in this game deserves to basically live with the knowledge that they got scammed and should have never given Roberts any money at all, I don't care who's feelings it hurts.

Sorry but anyone who invested in this game deserves to basically live with the knowledge that they got scammed and should have never given Roberts any money at all, I don't care who's feelings it hurts.
And how is it, by definition, a scam?

$400 million and squadron 42, let alone the full game, STILL are not out. More money for the scam machine, Chris needs another lambo! Think of it this way: the entirety of the halo franchise cost less then scam citizen. GTA V cost only $250 to develop and market with a team of over 1000.

Oh, and the OG budget was half a million, with a 2014 release date. It's now 2021, with a budget that is 800 times higher then what was asked for, and the game is still in alpha. What has that money done, create some new 3d images that you can buy for real money? Add another feature that will be half finished in 5 years?

I don't get why so many people are butthurt about this game. It always boils down to "oh it's a scam" without much proof other than saying it's been in development too long and and got too many "donations".

A scam would imply that someone took your money and ran. They're still here after a decade and looks like they'll be here a while longer, so nobody ran with anybody's money. No one is being forced to donate. Yet, they're still donating tens of millions of dollars each year, so people must be getting something out of this game.

I've never played this game and have never donated to any game being developed. I have no interest in it, but I would not call it a scam. I wish people would donate this much money to the development of a game on which spending this kind of money would be actually worth it.

I don't get why so many people are butthurt about this game. It always boils down to "oh it's a scam" without much proof other than saying it's been in development too long and and got too many "donations".

A scam would imply that someone took your money and ran. They're still here after a decade and looks like they'll be here a while longer, so nobody ran with anybody's money. No one is being forced to donate. Yet, they're still donating tens of millions of dollars each year, so people must be getting something out of this game.

I've never played this game and have never donated to any game being developed. I have no interest in it, but I would not call it a scam. I wish people would donate this much money to the development of a game on which spending this kind of money would be actually worth it.
Because games like this, that get away with rampant monetization while delivering nothing become rampantly successful, and begin influencing other developers and publishers to do the same thing, pushing absurd monetization on customers.

Scam citizen is the poster child for macrotransactions and pre order bonuses taken to their logical extreme.

I'm amazed that EA or UBI haven't thought of this.

Getting people money for never releasing anything.

I'm amazed that EA or UBI haven't thought of this.

Getting people money for never releasing anything.
Well EA might be even worst: put gambling in games you know is widely consumed by children.

Ubi seems more interested in mostly US military imperialist propaganda games.

By definition it is a scam. Period. Why do you need to be explained something that obvious?
Declaring it's a scam without any supporting argument. Sounds like the typical childish bandwagonning to me.

If it's that obvious, there should've been some sort of bombshell you could produce against this heavily scrutinized game/company. But instead, you also have nothing but a sad, recycled opinion 😂

Declaring it's a scam without any supporting argument. Sounds like the typical childish bandwagonning to me.

If it's that obvious, there should've been some sort of bombshell you could produce against this heavily scrutinized game/company. But instead, you also have nothing but a sad, recycled opinion 😂
I've given sound arguments for years and you've heard them 100 times already. Time is my biggest proof now since common sense doesn't seem to be enough anymore.

5 years ago people like you were declaring 2020 to be "the year", 3 years ago they were saying 2021-2022 and so on. Several years later and another 200 mill and it's still a decade away from anything substantial being done. TL;DR scam.

Denying reality is all you can do. Laugh, please laugh some more.

Seems we have a lot of Lawyers in the audience. Please answer me this. If this is a scam why aren't they being charged and prosecuted yet? I would love to hear your brilliant responses.

Seems we have a lot of Lawyers in the audience. Please answer me this. If this is a scam why aren't they being charged and prosecuted yet? I would love to hear your brilliant responses.
Much fraudulent activity goes unreported, due to the person scammed being too embarrassed to report it.

Back