Star Wars: Battlefront II Review

There is nothing stronger in this world then the ambition of collective greed in humans. Making the most money possible is the number 1 goal, everything else comes second.
We all know EA will rape Star Wars all through the night and into the next morning with no remorse. Which sucks because, this game could be loads of fun. I love the Rogue Squadron games and have some interest to go online and dog fight some tie fighters...but not with this game.

Great, honest review.

We can thanks mobile games for causing the micro-transactions fad.

Sure I enjoy getting cool suits of armor or different skins for weapons etc, but letting players buy their progression just make gaming suck. I am guilty of paying for some progression myself and I quickly see how it makes the game goes from challenging to not fun to play very quickly.

"Hours before the game’s official launch and a day after completing this review, EA disabled all microtransactions in the game. This is a temporary measure—EA says the ability to purchase in-game currency will return “at a later date.”"
So basically, it's just a trashy move to try and skew the early post-release review scores and postpone refunds of pre-orders, before quietly adding it back in again? There's only one serious response to this. Vote with your wallet and stop pre-ordering games from publishers with well known "reputations". Plenty of other fish in the backlog...

The game looked amazing on XB1 while the beta testing. I was very impressed because it looks like a true current generation game. But comparing it to another online games I don't understand why we need to buy it for the full high price if the microtransactions interrupt the status-quo. It's possible to spend money to get new skins or maps but not to get an advantage in gameplay. Same finance approach is used in free to play online games and you choose how to deal with it spending money or time. It's absolutelly disaster and brokes all the basics of AAA games and the game industry. We buy AAA online games to be equal each other in all only skills. How to trust any game publisher today if after you pay for a game they can push you to pay more and more by microtransactions later?

I honestly considered this game about a week ago after avoiding it after the let down that was Battlefront 1. Many people liked it, but I agree, it under delivered. Then a few days ago I read that the game had game changing micro transactions surrounding multiplayer and I'm glad I waited. This game might have been a purchase for me, but not anymore. I really think this series needs to be refreshed by being published by another company. EA does not care about it's customers at all and to think we would have supported this type of garbage is just asinine.

I don't like the way the gaming industry is going right now and it feels like Nintendo is the only company not buying into these things. Either way, this game won't be a buy for me and it should be reviewed poorly, so these companies will start to understand that gamers won't tolerate slaps in the face like this.

"Hours before the game’s official launch and a day after completing this review, EA disabled all microtransactions in the game. This is a temporary measure—EA says the ability to purchase in-game currency will return “at a later date.”"
So basically, it's just a trashy move to try and skew the early post-release review scores and postpone refunds of pre-orders, before quietly adding it back in again? There's only one serious response to this. Vote with your wallet and stop pre-ordering games from publishers with well known "reputations". Plenty of other fish in the backlog...

That's the way I see it. Try to convince people to buy the game under the impression that the developers listened to gamers' outcries. Then BAM, bring it right back and suck in the money. What's even worse is there are people who will still play the game and support this type of business. This is what ruins the industry for gamers.

I feel kind of bad for the DICE guys. They make great games. It's a shame that this microtransaction thing is marring what could have been a real boon for Disney's Star Wars licensed game. I got a refund the day before release. I could not, in good conscious, back the microtransactions either. If I were Disney I would be really pissed off with EA right about now.

This is the result of the incorporation of game development. It's a huge new low in the history of video games.

Make a statement, do not buy this.
This is a result that goverments don't regulate so huge digital bussines and don't keep it under control. The game publishers spread lotterie accross the world with impunity that is impossible in any differente case. But even in case of a common lottery some amount of people get rewards back but not in online games! Today it's like on Wild West in the digital industry no laws at all. But all spend efforts to save the copyright.

I was going to buy it, now with the cluster F I'm gonna happily skip this and play other games

If I were Disney I would be really pissed off with EA right about now.
Do you honestly believe that Disney was not ok with this (considering how much revenue they would've got)?

If anything, Disney probably suggested it instead of paid DLC.

I enjoyed the SP campaign regardless of what the reviewer thought. Was it worth the $60? Probably not. I've only dabbled in MP about 2 hours so far, still don't understand how you can sneak up on someone that's standing still and shoot them in the back of the head 3-4 times then they turn around and kill you almost instantly (I probably just suck). I miss the days of a "hardcore mode" in MP where 1-2 shots would take almost anyone out with any weapon (obviously heros should be able to take more than that).

Overall the gameplay is alright, the graphics though, hot dog, it sure is gorgeous in DX12 with everything maxed out. Surprisingly runs pretty smooth (55-65 fps) on my older 780 Ti.

I enjoyed the SP campaign regardless of what the reviewer thought. Was it worth the $60? Probably not. I've only dabbled in MP about 2 hours so far, still don't understand how you can sneak up on someone that's standing still and shoot them in the back of the head 3-4 times then they turn around and kill you almost instantly (I probably just suck). I miss the days of a "hardcore mode" in MP where 1-2 shots would take almost anyone out with any weapon (obviously heros should be able to take more than that).

Overall the gameplay is alright, the graphics though, hot dog, it sure is gorgeous in DX12 with everything maxed out. Surprisingly runs pretty smooth (55-65 fps) on my older 780 Ti.
Thats what I like about the star wars games how beautiful they look and yes I suck at these games as well and is it worth us$60 of course it is think about how long and hard people worked on this game and remember they would not have liked micro-transactions either. And I would bet the player you snuck up on most likely had some sort of cheat activated I have seen it in the last star wars game where some random player ran around 1 shoting players and never dying himself.

We can thanks mobile games for causing the micro-transactions fad.

Sure I enjoy getting cool suits of armor or different skins for weapons etc, but letting players buy their progression just make gaming suck. I am guilty of paying for some progression myself and I quickly see how it makes the game goes from challenging to not fun to play very quickly.

Exactly. Game of War by Machine Zone is the WORST of all the games. And so is it's cousin, Mobile Strike (which has a different game company name on it but if you look up it's address, it's the exact SAME address, street and number, as Machine Zone's). And more and more of this type of ilk are coming forward, including the just released Walking Dead: March To War game. All or unfairly tilted to those who spend massive amounts of money on the IAPs. And even those are short lived as they bring updates that render those purchases moot and require MORE spending to stay up top. It's gambling, period. And I would write to EA and tell them to NEVER enable the in-game spending again. Make it fair across the board so that EVERYONE must earn the rewards through game-play, not spending yourself into debt.

If in-game purchases are there, then it should NOT be something that gives one player any type of advantage over everyone else. In-game purchases are fine if you wish to get a new skin/suit to put on your player, but it SHOULD not boost that player's ability to play a better game over anyone else.

Unfortunately, that seems to be the nature of gaming these days. And it didn't start with Mobile gaming. Many console games and many PC games did it first as well. So with that, I have found myself dusting off my old PC games from the 90's and early 2000 and enjoying what back then were games that had substance over visual appeal. There were deep, woven stories there, and the games were exciting to play.

Back