Star Wars: The Last Jedi earns $45 million in preview screenings

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Star Wars: The Last Jedi hits theaters nationwide today but as diehard fans of the franchise can attest to, there were plenty of ways to see the film early. The flick had its world premiere at the Shrine Auditorium in Hollywood last weekend and several theaters hosted preview screenings overnight.

Sales from those early screenings are already looking quite impressive.

According to a report from Entertainment Weekly, The Last Jedi brought in an estimated $45 million from Thursday evening previews. That, according to the site, is the second-largest domestic preview gross of all time (second behind Star Wars: The Force Awakens at $57 million and ahead of the $29 million that Rogue One: A Star Wars Story brought in from previews last year).

Given the solid preview haul and positive reviews, it’s likely that The Last Jedi will enjoy a solid weekend opening. Entertainment Weekly says the movie is on track to easily clear $200 million domestically for its opening weekend.

Should that prediction prove accurate, it would top this year’s biggest domestic opener, Beauty and the Beast, which brought in $174.8 million in its opening weekend.

Internationally, as of Friday morning, The Last Jedi had earned an estimated $60.8 million. Worldwide, the total stood at $105.8 million.

Will you be hitting up your local theater this weekend to check out the new Star Wars film?

Permalink to story.

I got to see it early Thursday night. I really liked it, bit slow at times, but overall loved the twists (dont want to say anymore for fear of spoilers). Really looking forward to episode IX now.
What an insightful comment. Unfortunately, your word doesnt really matter when compared to actual numbers.

I heard pretty mixed things about the movie from some of my friends. I don't tend to rely on their opinions though, because I tend to think these people don't have the best taste in movies. It is something worth noting though. I'm going to wait a week or two to see it. I hate large movie crowds.

I got to see it early Thursday night. I really liked it, bit slow at times, but overall loved the twists (dont want to say anymore for fear of spoilers). Really looking forward to episode IX now.

Same here. Really liked it a lot. I was afraid the story was going to play out where people might say, "Oh, it's just Empire all over again", but it didn't have that feel.

What an insightful comment. Unfortunately, your word doesnt really matter when compared to actual numbers.

Yeah...not sure what his comment is referring to: that he doesn't think they hit $45 million, that they won't hit $200 million over this weekend, or that he doesn't want it to hit that threshold?

I stopped going to theaters years ago. Noisy kids, sticky floors and overly high volume levels made the experience less than stellar. With an HDTV and soundbar with subwoofer, I get a more personalized and enjoyable movie watching experience at home. I'll pay for it when it's on demand next spring or summer. I can wait.

I'll be waiting until it comes to disk. Even with recliners and reasonable sound systems in the theaters near me, the noisy kids and the parents dealing with them ruin the experience for me. I've got a pretty decent sound system at home right now, and a 50" screen at the moment, plus I can pause the movie without missing anything.

Besides that, I really do not like the announcement that Disney made a couple of months ago where they were essentially going to wrangle more money out of the theaters that wanted to show this movie. If I give the theaters money for this, then I am supporting Disney's greedy policies as I see it.

Given that, anything less than $200 Mil at the box office this weekend, and Disney will probably call it a failure.

Maybe they are planning to add extra content to slow parts to be sold in lootboxes.

Yeah...not sure what his comment is referring to: that he doesn't think they hit $45 million, that they won't hit $200 million over this weekend, or that he doesn't want it to hit that threshold?
Or they answered a question that was asked in the article.
"Will you be hitting up your local theater this weekend to check out the new Star Wars film?"

I saw it for free on thursday night also because of a work event with some of our vendors.

It was good but I still prefer lucas starwars to disney.

I loved the original movies, read the comics and books, played the video games and role-playing Games. I even drew crappy fan art.

I have no interest in seeing this movie after watching Episode 7. Maybe if it's on netflix.

I just think sadly about what the new series could have been.

I'll be waiting until it comes to disk. Even with recliners and reasonable sound systems in the theaters near me, the noisy kids and the parents dealing with them ruin the experience for me. I've got a pretty decent sound system at home right now, and a 50" screen at the moment, plus I can pause the movie without missing anything....[ ]...
A couple of the Eagles were interviewed after their "Hell Freezes Over" tour. When asked what was different about touring now, as opposed to touring back in the 70's, they said, "now that we're getting older, we need to have the bathrooms closer to the stage".

So yeah, that pause button on the old Blu-Ray player, is a real prostate friendly feature of stay at home viewing! (y) ;)

I have no interest in seeing this movie after watching Episode 7. Maybe if it's on netflix.
I understand where you're coming from, I thought Episode 7 was terrible. However, with that said, I got to see Episode 8 on Saturday and it is considerably better. Very impressed. Although, I would completely understand waiting until it's released to watch it at home, it's good, way better than 7, but not like "must see it ASAP".

They should have titled it, "SJW WARS" with all the agendas being sold to the unwitting audiences.

Back