Starlink's new Global Roaming service promises worldwide internet access for $200 a month

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: SpaceX is testing a new service that promises to grant users the ability to connect from almost anywhere in the world, so long as they are on land. Could this be a workaround or loophole that would allow people to use Starlink in regions that haven't yet approved the service?

According to invitations received by some users (including those still on wait lists for residential service), Starlink Global Roaming commands $200 per month plus the $599 Starlink starter kit. Those who are not happy with the service can return it for a full refund within the first 30 days, and service can be paused or canceled at any time.

SpaceX describes the service as a new technology, and that customers can expect Starlink's typical high speed, low latency service interlaced with periods of poor connectivity or none at all. This will improve drastically over time, however, so just think of it as early adopter growing pains.

The invitation also mentions that users based outside of the US will be responsible for acting as the Importer of Record, meaning it is up to them to ensure the product complies with local import laws and pay any applicable duties or taxes. According to PCMag, at least two users outside of Starlink's current service area received an invitation for the roaming service.

Global Roaming is one of several portable options that Starlink customers can choose from.

In May 2022, the company launched Starlink for RVs with no wait list. The service debuted at $135 per month but notably, it can not be used while a vehicle is in motion. That limitation was lifted later in the year with the launch of Flat High performance Starlink for RVs, but the startup cost is nearly five times more than the standard kit. Starlink Maritime, meanwhile, brings connectivity to the high seas for those with very deep pockets. Pricing is set at $5,000 per month plus a one-time hardware fee of $5,000 that covers two terminals.

Permalink to story.

I'm sorry but $200 a month for something that isn't even at gigabyte level service is simply not worth the money. Guess Musk can't figure out a way to make money on his tweet service so he'll just take it out of everybody else's hide. Time to ship him off to Mars ......

Musk - "The internet for those who cannot leave home without it*"
*Maybe subject to these conditions - only if you are on land, if you are on sea, then it will cost $5,000/mo, if you cannot get it, tought sh!t it will still cost you at least $200/mo and you'll love it no matter what because I, Elon Musk - the God of Mars - provide it. 🤣

Time to ship him off to Mars ......
🤣 IMO, its long past time that he be shipped off to Mars.

I'm sorry but $200 a month for something that isn't even at gigabyte level service is simply not worth the money. Guess Musk can't figure out a way to make money on his tweet service so he'll just take it out of everybody else's hide. Time to ship him off to Mars ......
Do you know what context is? Of course getting global internet is not worth the money if you have stable, static internet and you don't plan to travel around with it lol.

But for people that actually move around globally and want to only deal with one connection (or any internet), show me what competes against this for it not to be worth the money in context...

First check what Starlink is for and who is targeted at then come back here to comment.

Let me guess and tell us without telling us, you don't know the difference between a bite and byte.. but any ways, tell that to all the people on boats in the middle of the ocean that 200 dollars isn't worth the added benefit of having instant communication for safety....

It may be better than nothing if you live in a remote location or off-grid. Given the costs of deploying the vast number of satellites, I don´t think Starlink is making any money yet. Anyway, I would consider Starlink if it were available where I live although it would leave a bad taste in my mouth knowing that Musk is involved.

I wish they would just work on one thing at a time. Get service for their base internet everywhere then do the other stuff

I don't like the starlink maritime fee structure because I plan on retiring on a boat. You can get a nice house boat for the cost of a single family home. I can understand people with multi-million dollar yachts but I want to retire on a ~$200,000 sail boat and collect my pension and social security. People full time in RV's, what makes a boat so different?

I don't like the starlink maritime fee structure because I plan on retiring on a boat. You can get a nice house boat for the cost of a single family home. I can understand people with multi-million dollar yachts but I want to retire on a ~$200,000 sail boat and collect my pension and social security. People full time in RV's, what makes a boat so different?
I would imagine that it's far more efficient to deliver internet over land (density, closer to ground relay stations, and whatever else). So by paying for sea service, you'd be paying to have satellites over what is essentially empty space (besides the occasional other starlink boat user lol).

That said, if they don't really have any competition at their price point, I would bet it would also be because they can charge that much for the rich person's convenience.

I feel like rich people in truly remote areas would pay much more while not so rich people in somewhat remote areas will not be able to afford to pay 200 hundred.
Fewer users, bigger bill, what I think it should be.

Each kit should include in the purchase price and 1 year of unlimited data (with variable speed depending on the network status and minimum guaranteed 50mbps) Internet access for $50/month if it is profitable or otherwise the minimum price that is profitable plus a small and reasonable amount (there is no download charge from comtels, only for upload plus the cost of the satellites).

Also it should be anonymous, those who want to buy it should be able to buy the box with cash in a shop and it should contain the codes to connect to the satellites. After 1 year, if the network is still empty as it is now, it should be the same price, you buy a sealed envelope from the store containing a code for another 1 year or 6 months for ~$50/month. If the network is no longer empty, there may be a small price increase and so on. But it should also sell the value of anonymity (there should be no logs, the company should be in Switzerland) along with the value of flexibility. If there is an incident where anonymity is exploited and there is a reaction from the authorities, they will take that device off the network.

There is a huge trend for VPNs, it is obvious that people want to buy anonymity. There is a huge demand for anonymity.

I would imagine that it's far more efficient to deliver internet over land (density, closer to ground relay stations, and whatever else). So by paying for sea service, you'd be paying to have satellites over what is essentially empty space (besides the occasional other starlink boat user lol).

That said, if they don't really have any competition at their price point, I would bet it would also be because they can charge that much for the rich person's convenience.
The satillites aren't in a geostationary orbit, they're going to be going over the oceans REGARDLESS of whether they're being used or not. It takes about 90 minutes for a Starlink satellite to orbit the earth. In other words, each satellite orbits the earth about 16 times a day.

The satillites aren't in a geostationary orbit, they're going to be going over the oceans REGARDLESS of whether they're being used or not. It takes about 90 minutes for a Starlink satellite to orbit the earth. In other words, each satellite orbits the earth about 16 times a day.
Well, it looks like their coverage was more than I thought by now.

Well then, relay station distance and "because we can" is probably why it costs so much.

I'm waiting for the new article about the price increase for some(me) and the decrease for others so I can ***** in the comments.

Back