Start up problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Start up problems:

I installed a new mb, mem, processoe and video card into an existing system. Now I can't get it to "turn on". The led on the mb lights up. That's it. No fans, no nothing. Here is the setup:
New:
Asus P5AD2 E premium
P4 3.0 g
Corsair 512 mb x 2
Ati Radeon X800XT
Ultra 500w psu with adapter for 20 pin to a 24 pin mb plug

Existing:
Seagate 120 gb 7200 ultra ata100
Liteon DVD rom
Liteon Cd Rom
Liteon Floppy

I hate to sound like a noob, is it a requirement to run a raid setup on this mb?
Any suggestions would be helpful

You will have to reinstall everything from scratch. Your existing OS has all the hardware-drivers etc. from the OLD motherboard, and they won't work with the new motherboard, which requires new drivers etc.
Put the old PC back together, make backups of your personal data.
Alternatively, get a new harddisk, install everything new on there, incl. all the drivers from the mobo-CD. Install all the programs that you are going to use. Put the old HD in as slave, and transfer all the personal files back from the old HD onto your new HD.

Installed a new Seagate 120 g sata hdd. Still having same issue. Aside from the green led on the mb, it seems like there is no power. Any ideas people???

I remember having seen this problem in the past. But it was not a new motherboard. My solution was to replace the motherboard. Maybe your new motherboard is defective. Can you have it tested where you bought it?

Micster0311 said:
I might be able to have someone local test. I bought it online. Thanks.
reaseat those memory chips,remove and then replace,they may not be pressed down in the slots properly. :giddy:

Micster0311 said:
I'm willing to try anything at this point. Thanks
:bounce:
Do you hear any thing when you press power button on your box? You say you see your light on mb so you are getting power and the power cable is plugged in,check power to floppy if this is your boot.

There are no sounds when I turn on power to the box. Normally the fans crank for a couple of seconds and stop. Then you boot up your system. I don't even get that far. No fans, no nothing. If I take off the 24 pin adapter and install the 20 pin plug in the middle, the fan to the psu starts, if i place the plug towards the top of the female plug the chassis fan turns, and if i place it at the bottom, just the led on the mobo lights. Upon reading the mobo manual alittle more, the pcu requires a 12v version 2.0, my psu is a 12v version 1.2. That might be a problem.

Micster0311 said:
There are no sounds when I turn on power to the box. Normally the fans crank for a couple of seconds and stop. Then you boot up your system. I don't even get that far. No fans, no nothing. If I take off the 24 pin adapter and install the 20 pin plug in the middle, the fan to the psu starts, if i place the plug towards the top of the female plug the chassis fan turns, and if i place it at the bottom, just the led on the mobo lights. Upon reading the mobo manual alittle more, the pcu requires a 12v version 2.0, my psu is a 12v version 1.2. That might be a problem.
Thats your problem your power supply,you will have to buy a new one.

I ordered a new one today as well as a new hdd. Might as well make it a raod system at this point. Once the system is up and running i will post the solution for future reference. :monkey:

Solution to start up problems

Motherboard was bad. Swapped it for a new one and bingo, it works. After all the pain and headache, just needed a new mobo.

Micster0311 said:
Motherboard was bad. Swapped it for a new one and bingo, it works. After all the pain and headache, just needed a new mobo.
Glad you found the problem the light on mb must have fooled you to.

System Won't Start After Hardware Upgrade

I upgraded motherboard, CPU and memory from PIII to PIV, 3.4g presscot. Upgraded memory to a DDR400, 1G. Used existing video card, ATI All In Wonder Pro128, Soundblaster Live, Western Digital Hard Drive. System boots to Safe Mode screen, hit Safe Mode (Or last known good start), system restarts. Tried different harddrive. Since I only have WinXP Upgrade version CD, I had to install WinME first. Would install but freeze at hardware setup. Reformatted harddrive, got WinXP CD. Attempted install. Got to agreement page, pressed F8, system restarted. Would not install. Any help????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back