Stealth intros ultra-compact "Little PC" with Core i7

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Stealth has launched a new novel-sized PC armed with Intel's Core i5 or i7 mobile processors. More specifically, the LPC-670 comes with last year's Arrandale chips such as the 2.4GHz Core i5-520M, 2.67GHz i5-580M or 2.67GHz i7-620M -- not Sandy Bridge. Nonetheless, the machine represents Stealth's most powerful mini-PC to date and it crams some impressive specs into a mere 6.54 x 6.18 x 1.89-inch aluminum enclosure.

Configuration options include up to 8GB of DDR3 RAM via two SO-DIMM slots, 160GB to 750GB of mechanical storage or 32GB to 256GB of flash storage, and a slot loading DVD or Blu-ray drive. There doesn't appear to be any discrete graphics options or related expansion slot, but Arrandale's embedded graphics engine can handle up to 1080p video playback and should suffice for most standard tasks outside of hardcore 3D gaming.

Despite its size, the LPC-670 squeezes in most of the connectivity you'd require from a basic desktop, including Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11g Wi-Fi, 5.1-channel audio, two USB 2.0 ports, HDMI and DVI-out, as well as a RS232 COM port. The system can be preloaded with your choice of Windows XP, Vista or 7, Ubuntu, as well as QNX, while optional accessories include wall mount brackets and a remote power option. Pricing starts at $1,650.

Permalink to story.

sry for posting as an/s but its kinda fail, for that tag and since its supposed to be used for HD media streaming/enconding (see core i7) it should at least have wifi N or usb 3 or both

I'll agree that it's a tidy little thing, and there is a decent market for compact PCs, but the pricing is just ridiculous.

That is some nice tech, but the pricing is way too high. It makes me want to run and hide...

I might as well get a laptop; at least the screen will give me a good idea why I have spent over 1200...

Geez... starting at 1,600...

MrAnderson said:Geez... starting at 1,600...

Yes, starting from $1,650. I'm just going through the specs now and the pricing is a lot of fun. First of all, Matthew is slightly wrong in his article, because it doesn't come with an i3, even though the original advert on the site says it does.
It starts with an i5-520M. If you want the i5-580M, that's an extra $65. If you want an i7, it's $180 extra. If you want Windows 7 on it, that's an extra $195 or $275 for Ultimate. If you want XP, it's $195 for them to install Win7 on it and give you a downgrade disk. If you want Windows Server 2008, $1,095. If you want a monitor with it, then you're clearly allergic to money because that's another $2000.

I'm sorry but the only sort of people who would want to buy a compact PC for this sort of money, can't. They can't, simply because they've been institutionalized. Compact PCs are a great idea and there are people who can get a lot of use out of them, but to buy this particular one, you'd have to be mad enough to eat a live ferret.

Pretty amazing, as a novelty item it rocks...

Now...

To whom is this intended? Without the gaming capability it looks pretty retarded to spend so much on this little thing, to play 1080p media you have WAY WAY cheaper (And cheaper each week) options, designers who could use that much raw power have always loved their MACs (Which is amazing how it looks like a cheaper alternative now...), programmers who may use it to code or run some sort of home "server" database or whatsoever can buy real servers or alternative power computer (Not considering they like to play games).

So... who is this targetted for?

...how does this come with XP? I thought Microsoft dropped support for XP? Why would you want to put out a system with an unsupported OS? The other thing that confuses me is why only "G" wifi? Why not "N"? I don't know many electronics that don't come standard with N lately.

I don't understand how this ISN'T a waste of money. Hell, you could even get a an R700 and a dock for cheaper than that and you'll probably only be missing out on the extra RAM. Plus you would get a device that is mobile; with wireless N; and you'll have a three year international warranty.

This price is simply not justified...

Funny because as I was reading through the article, and while noticing the nice specs (for the size), my subconscious told me "Wait for it, wait for it..." And bam! 1,650.

Hahaha, good luck with that.

Back