Steam is reportedly bringing back its flash sales

midian182

Staff member
Bottom line: It’s been a few years since Valve got rid of one of the most polarizing elements from its regular Steam Sales: Flash Sales. But a report from a reliable source claims they will soon return.

It used to be that in addition to the standard discounts available on games during Steam’s big annual sales, there were regular flash sales that dropped the prices even further, for a limited time. Some users appreciated the deeper discounts on offer, but many hated the way they were so easy to miss. There was no indication when flash sales would take place, so catching them meant constantly checking Steam.

For the Steam Summer Sale of 2016, Valve decided to do away with daily and flash sales. And while the move dropped the average game discount down to 50—it was 66.67 the previous year—people were still happy to spend their money. The event brought in 40 percent more cash ($223.2 million) than the 2015 Summer Sale.

Now, Valve News Network’s Tyler McVicker says the flash sales are returning. This time, developers will be able to choose how long they want each game’s flash sale to last: 6, 8, 10, or 12 hours, meaning Steam’s front page will likely be updated every hour, making things interesting/annoying for those looking to grab a bargain.

We’ve not heard any official confirmation from Valve, but McVicker’s information has regularly proved accurate in the past. Judging from Valve’s apparent reluctance to reveal its plans to the public, we could be waiting until the next Steam sale to find out whether the news is accurate.

Permalink to story.

A good business move on their part. Now let's hope they offer good stuff, not just the C R A P as they did in the past .....

I really hope this is true I enjoyed the flash sales so much. I would check steam every day to see what is new and deeply discounted. I know personally about 70% of my steam sale purchases were flash sales. Now you only check once at the beginning buy what you want and maybe once more before it ends.

The only reason youd miss the sale is if you didnt have the games you wanted on your wishlist. Put them on your wishlist and you get notified when they go onsale. I liked flash sales. Not a big fan of the way the sales are now.

The moment they changed the UI for the store page, I stopped buying games as often by about 90%. I and many other people hated the new UI and the bloat of curated content aimed at no one like myself. I still can't stand using Steam to buy games. They can claim they've made more money, but I doubt it's related to the UI overhaul they did. Even the last UI overhaul they just put out screwed up my custom Steam theme.

Back