Steam logged over eight million concurrent users thanks to Summer Sale

Shawn Knight

Staff member

steam

Steam over the weekend achieved a new record for concurrent users at over eight million. That eclipses the previous record of around 7.5 million set during last year's holiday season according to a post originating from NeoGAF.

The new record was set on June 29 at around noon which just so happens to coincide with the Steam Summer Sale Encore Day. If you recall, Steam's annual Summer Sale kicked off on June 19 and has been offering up deep discounts on some of the hottest games in the industry ever since.

steam

The most popular game on Steam right now is by far Dota 2 with more than four and a half times as many players as the next most popular title, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. As of writing, Dota 2 peaked at 775,279 concurrent players today while Counter-Strike has only managed 163,421 thus far.

Rounding out the top five games by player count is Team Fortress 2 with 78,227 peak players, Garry's Mod at 66,371 and PAYDAY 2 at 63,814 peak players today.

Back during Valve's Dev Days in January, the company revealed they had 75 million active users , a solid increase over the 65 million reported in October 2013.

Given Steam's overwhelming popularity these days, it's difficult to imagine a time when the service wasn't loved by gamers. But that did indeed happen in the early days as gamers lashed out against the platform's constant patches, DRM policies and digital-only approach to PC games.

Permalink to story.

8million.. gosh pc gaming really is dying...

All these rumours that pc sales are slowing down due to pc gaming dying is like saying pigs cant fly due to winter lol

8million tho dang.... thats like what the current amount of WoW subs xD

The summer sale was pretty dang good this year. Really nice deals.

Really? Most of my friend's thought this year's sale sucked in comparison. Nearly all of the "deals" they had you could've already gotten months in advance on Steam or even Amazon and other retailers. Needless to say, everyone I knew was bummed out by this year's sale.

Agreed, this sale wasn't the best.. I think I only bought 2 games!

Great to see PC gaming is still on the rise however.

Da** you steam. you took away my 100$ for one summer sale 2014 badge, one game badge, three levels up!, and some games I really wanted for a long time :)

it was my first time experiencing trading cards had it done with nice people who even gave me some free cards. in return, I also swapped my only foil card for practically nothing.
I was locked out of steam market for seven days until july 1, 2014 due to 'new mode of payment, verification purposes'.
this is my second year as a steam user.

Same as other people, I was seriously disappointed by this years sale. Not sure what I expected, but I only bought nidhogg and a few Rome 2 DLC's. Other than that, I was not impressed by what was on sale considering last year I spent $150+ on the sale... I'm not sure if it was just a bad sale, or if I have accumulated most possible games I would ever consider playing in my 350+ games library :) Hope I am not the only one feeling this way.

The summer sale was pretty dang good this year. Really nice deals.

Really? Most of my friend's thought this year's sale sucked in comparison. Nearly all of the "deals" they had you could've already gotten months in advance on Steam or even Amazon and other retailers. Needless to say, everyone I knew was bummed out by this year's sale.

I agree. I didnt think this sale was anything special. I only spent 5 bucks on Turbo Dismount (which you should checkout if you havent. Its a funny game).

Haha I just spent a lot this year I guess xD

Yeah the slaes weren't anything too extreme but they were all running concurrently, which I guess is nice. I usually Spend around $300 on steam sales (between steam sales anf fireworks fo the 4th I am usually broke all summer) But I only spent around $100 this year, deals were anything to make me crazy and I have a massive library to play through still.

Back