Steam Servers and Internet Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!

I don't know where to turn because there's no real help on the steampowered forums so I'm turning this over to you guys.

I play Counter-Strike and it seems that every time I try searching for servers on the Steam Client my internet connection crashes. So I'm forced to turn off my modem then turn it back on and wait for it to establish and new internet connection. This happens pretty much any time I search for servers. Someone mentioned a possibility for "flood protection" on a firewall but I can't seem to find such an option or feature in my modem or Windows Firewall.

Any suggestions?

If you did the install yourself, then you have access to the configuration;
be sure to enable SPI (Statefull Packet Inspection).

also be sure you have the latest firmware (it's specific to the model #)

if you have a router, update its firmware too.

DSL is less that 1024bps and Steam wants to run afap, so you're pushing it.
Running cable @4225bps I have no problems.

jobeard said:
DSL is less that 1024bps and Steam wants to run afap, so you're pushing it.
Running cable @4225bps I have no problems.
... don't you mean kbps? And how is it that steam uses 1mbps? It's not THAT bandwidth hogging is it?

DSL Tips

kidintheshadows said:
Yes...? Don't internet connections normally have modems? It's a DSL modem. Something has to interpret information flow, no?

Think of that DSL modem as a dial-up modem is almost works the same way. The best bet to fix that problem is to use DSL/Cable Router. This way you can add your user and pswd and setup the Router for 30 secs to make sure it's connected to the internet. Some routers work differently than others when it has to work with DSL. The router will check to see if you have a connection if it doesn't it will re-connect to your DSL provider ISP.

If you still have problems then call the DSL provider and tell them you're getting drop connections. Have them check your line signal to the DSL modem and also at their end. Make sure your DSL line filters are connected to your phones in your dwelling correctly.. Also if one of those filters are bad then that can lead to problems too. Check your phone lines for noise, if you have noise or static in the line then that a problem for DSL. You did to take care of that as quick as you can.

Well, I don't have a router, I only have a hub (which isn't going to be of much use), but this problem is definitely aimed at something with STEAM (or with my computer & steam). Every time I start up a game now or even try to search for servers the internet connection just drops. No other applications cause this problem so I don't know where to turn. I have contacted my DSL provider but they say my signal is strong and that it is nothing wrong on their side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back