Steam weekend sale: Mass Effect for $10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Steam is hosting yet another fantastic weekend sale with a 50%-off, $10 copy of Mass Effect. Originally released for PC in May 2008, Mass Effect is an action role-playing game developed by BioWare (Demiurge Studios handled the PC port).

The game takes place in the year 2183, and puts the player in the shoes of Commander Shepard, an elite human solider who has set out to explore the Galaxy. The title received wide critical acclaim, with an average GameRankings score of 89.78% on PC 90.71% on the Xbox 360. A sequel (Mass Effect 2) is slated for debut on January 26, 2010.

Steam's listed system requirements include Microsoft Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista, a 2.4GHz Intel Pentium 4 or 2GHz AMD processor (or faster), at least 1GB of RAM on XP or 2GB on Vista, an ATI X1300 XT/Nvidia GeForce 6800 or better, and 12GB of free storage space.

Permalink to story.

An amazing game, if you like FPS and the advancing character part sort of RPG, you should really take on this offer.

I just purchased myself a copy after reading this. For $10, how can you refuse to buy this great game I've had the privilege of playing a few times.

$10 for what is effectively antique now.

How about L4D2 on sale instead Valve.. since you failed miserably to support L4D like you said you were going to.

I hear this game is good, I've been debating getting this as I just went wild on gogamer.com and my wallet took a punch.

+1 on L4D Shalimar, I was thinking after they released the tools it would be cool with custom levels, but the community has shown there true colors and are more interested in using them to spawn ten thousand zombies or five hundred witches,
I really thing they have ruined the game. You can't just join any quick play match and expect to have a regular campaign.

This is a terrific game at a terrific price - highly recommended.

shalimar - go whine about your L4D petty gripes on the Steam boards. This Mass Effect offer has nothing to do with L4D.

I've had the pleasure of beating this game already. It's fantastic. Questing is actually fun, and so is the hunt for armor and weapons. Plus the graphics are pretty sweet.

The only gripe I had though was that they were sort of cheap about the graphics. They used textures that looked great from a little distance away but as soon as you looked closer it looked absolutely terrible. A great way to save on graphics processing power admittedly. But I'd have preferred if it looked great no matter how it was looked at. They also could have done better with some of the textures for the aliens. But regardless, the game was excellent and I eagerly look forward to the sequel.

@shalimar: If a one year old first person shooter is considered "effectively antique", no one can say the same thing about RPGs. I still play and enjoy Diablo2 (2000), Neverwinter Nights (2002), Fallout 1&2 (1997&1998) and I think any RPG fan on these boards played and maybe are still playing theese "ancient" games. :)

10$ for Mass Effect is a really great deal and I'm definitely buying it this weekend.

it's a great deal for a good game. and it's not antique, imho! l4d2 isn't for everyone. to each his own. and i guess there's a good many who will benefit from this promotion

I've never actually played Mass Effect but I've been wanting to get it for a long time. This is a great price but it's also an older title so the price is expected. However, I could just as easily buy the game used and actually be able to sell it later on if I needed to. That's the only issue I have with Steam games. I guess if you create a new account each time you can always sell it that way but I think that's against the ToS.

Good price for a great game that has an interesting story line. It is like being in a scfi book instead of reading one.

Everyones positive comments on the game makes me interested in getting it at this low price. One question though..hows the multiplayer on it/does it have a multiplayer feature?

Nice. Something to keep me occupied untill Tuesday.
I haven't played it yet (I know, shame on me)
Exactly the right price to empty my paypal account too...

ellulbrian said:
Hm, I truly dislike steam but if they tend to do these discounts I might change my idea :)
Who knows...

why do you dislike steam? Is digital distribution against your religion or moral code?

I happen to think its quite convenient and use it often. I think I may be spending $10 this weekend.

ellulbrian said:
Hm, I truly dislike steam but if they tend to do these discounts I might change my idea :)
Who knows...
Where have you been? :) Steam has a discount game every weekend, and often mid-week. They are usually indy games or yesteryear's best sellers. I got quite a few games in these sales. IMO it's worth checking out Steam regularly for these.

If I were in any way interested in RPGs I would definitely buy this. It doesn't beat Direct2Drive's weekly blowout sale they did for 5 weeks straight where every game was $5. I got Bioshock, WIC gold, Supreme Commander gold, and COH gold. One of the best $20 I've ever spent!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back