Steam's 2020 Autumn Sale was a record-breaker

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Steam sales have always been a big deal for Valve and game makers, and the recent Autumn event was no exception. With the gaming industry experiencing a massive uplift as more people prefer at-home entertainment, this year's Autumn Sale was "the biggest-ever in terms of revenue for developers and publishers."

Just under one million people bought a game or made a microtransaction for the very first time during the Autumn Sale, up by a third compared to 2019. Concurrent users, meanwhile, reach nearly 24 million, which is about 7 million more than during the sale's peak last year.

Valve points to the ongoing quarantine as one of the factors behind the high numbers, along with the success of new games and older games seeing a resurgence in popularity—Among Us is highlighted as an example of the latter. Better recommendations and a revamped sales hub also helped increase sales, according to the company.

The announcement adds that 5.3 million users cast more than 30 million votes for the Steam Awards nominations. Valve reveals the final nominees for each category every day, with voting for the winners taking place between December 22 at 10AM PST and January 3rd at 9AM PST.

Only the coveted Game of the Year and VR Game of the Year nominees have yet to be revealed:

Labor of Love Award

• Among Us
  • Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  • No Man's Sky
  • Terraria
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Better With Friends

• Borderlands 3
  • Deep Rock Galactic
  • Fall Guys
  • Risk of Rain 2
  • Sea of Thieves

Outstanding Visual Style Award

• Battlefield V
  • Black Mesa
  • Marvel's Avengers
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  • There Is No Game: Jam Edition 2015

Most Innovative Gameplay Award

• Control
  • Death Stranding
  • Noita
  • Superliminal
  • Teardown

Best Game You Suck At Award

• Apex Legends
  • Crusader Kings III
  • FIFA 21
  • GTFO
  • Ghostrunner

Best Soundtrack Award

• Doom Eternal
  • Halo: The Master Chief Collection
  • Helltaker
  • Need for Speed Heat
  • Persona 4 Golden

Outstanding Story-Rich Award

• Detroit: Become Human
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Mafia: Definitive Edition
  • Metro Exodus
  • Red Dead Redemption 2

Sit Back and Relax Award

• Factorio
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator
  • Satisfactory
  • The Sims 4
  • Untitled Goose Game

Permalink to story.

I bought Modules for DCS World and Cyberpunk.

Not sure if I’ll buy anything for the Christmas sale.
Maybe Far Cry: New Dawn if the price keeps dropping.

I bought Modules for DCS World and Cyberpunk.

Not sure if I’ll buy anything for the Christmas sale.
Maybe Far Cry: New Dawn if the price keeps dropping.

I can recommend Far Cry New Dawn, I just wish it was longer, honestly I don't understand why the game got so much flack?

I can recommend Far Cry New Dawn, I just wish it was longer, honestly I don't understand why the game got so much flack?
So I did enjoy playing FC New Dawn but it’s def the worst modern Far Cry for me. It’s a pink soulless repetitive game with the world copy pasted from Far Cry 5 but in the future with an awful storyline. The worst part for me was the different levels of enemy. I mean you do the same things with them but your guns and takedowns just won’t be effective if not high level enough. It’s artificial depth and it’s lazy. The whole game feels lazily made.

Back