Stop F4 BSOD Bugcheck Windows XP

Windows XP Home SP3
Celeron CPU
2GB memory
Two page files: C:\pagefile.sys 2,096,624 KB and G:\pagefile.sys 2,096,624 KB
C and G are separate physical drives. Each is between 2 and 4 years old.

Every few weeks, I get a bugcheck F4,3:

Example:
STOP: F4, 3, 89A81020 89A81194, 805FB1D6

I run Microsoft memory diag and TUFFTest memory diag: no errors.
I have not tried moving the page files.

Minidumps from 26 Sept and 20 Oct attached.
The probable cause is csrss.exe. The csrss.exe file is 6KB in \Windows\system32.

Is there a way I can find out what failed while csrss.exe was running?

Attachments

• Mini092611-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini102011-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 1
csrss probably OK

Thanks for the pointer!

liutilities seems of two minds on csrss. On the one hand, they say it is a trojan, and recommend removing it; on the other hand, they say it provides the critical functions.

I'm pretty sure the csrss.exe on my system is providing critical functions, and not being a trojan. Virus scanners haven't complained, and the file is in system32, and has the right size.

I suspect hardware, either memory or disk. Probably not memory, since the diags run OK, and the machine runs for weeks.

I'd like to run destructive tests on the disk blocks occupied by the page files, but I don't know of any file-oriented disk tester. I am told spinrite covers the whole disk. I also understand that spinrite repeats a cycle of reading a few disk blocks, saving the content, bashing the blocks, and restoring the original data. Very clever, if it works.

Any opinions on spinrite?

The biggest thing here is that csrss is not located in more than 1 location like C:\Windows/ system32. If it is, it could be a malware issue...

Back